securing an outboard

rasteele

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Three months ago I had my 6 hp evinrude stolen of the back of my boat. I now have a 9.9 and I take it in every night. Is there a secure way to keep it on the boat. I notice there are holes on the screw down handles, are those for a padlock of some kind. Thanks for any input

racerone

Supreme Mariner
There are several styles of locks available.--------Look for a place where you can put a hidden bolt through the transom.------That might deter thieves who do not want to use a flashlight or other tools.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
A quick whack with a hammer will break the holes off those clampscrews. I replaced one of the clampscrews with an long allen socket setscrew that goes almost all the way in to the bracket so you can't undo it with a pair of pliers. The crook probably won't go back home to get an allen wrench. I also concur, bolted-on motors are a pain to remove. Put some Locktite on the nut threads if you really want to make it a pain.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
This question comes up about 5 or 6 times a boating season

a lock will only keep the honest man honest. nothing will stop a determined thief. the best you can do is secure your boat in a locked garage and have insurance.

if someone wants your motor bad enough, they will take the boat and trailer. if it is secured to your tow vehicle, they may simply take that too.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
No matter how good you secure on the boat if they want it they'll get it. Just have good insurance.

Last edited:

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
I secure my 6hp with a "slot lock " over the clamp screws. I have also threaded a length of hardened chain between the exhaust housing and the swivel bracket assembly which a I padlock around one of the "pushpit" legs.

I'd not rely on a padlock through the clamp screw handles

The weak part in any such security system is the padlock.

Some cheap locks are so poor that you can easily saw through the hasp so good quality locks are needed and "disc locks" that don't have shoulders that can be hit with a hammer are probably a good choice

If criminals are determined enough they will chain saw the transom off your boat complete with outboard.so ultimatly you cannot win .

Marking the outboard with your zip code is also a good idea.

DSCF0287.jpg

Last edited:

rasteele

Petty Officer 2nd Class
all good, right now im putting the motor in the utility room as we have no storage. wife kinda upset as the clothes smell like gas so I have to secure it to the boat, I'm going to brainstorm a bit tomorrow and go through the ideas ya'll have described. thanks

Bosunsmate

Admiral
I bolt them, then grind the heads off so they wont be able to get any grip on the ends. Add red locktite if im really enjoying myself.
you need to grind a shape back into it if you ever want to undo it

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Some times something as simple as a blinking LED light will make would be thieves question that boat and engine set up and look elsewhere... :noidea:

rasteele

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks for all the input, going to West marine tonight to pick up the bar type lock for$30. I think it's worth it since I have a feeling I'll be wanting to dismount the motor occasionally