$100 purchase: 1963 Johnson rds - 25d 40 hp, 1970 Crestliner Mustang and trailer

grumpyguy

Seaman Apprentice
So I bought the package above from a friend who was selling his dad's cottage as he had passed away.

Boat is weathered but solid. Trailer rusty but works very well and tows smooth as silk. Motor looks weathered but he claims Dad was a maintenance freak and that it run well when professionally wrapped 7 years ago. Hasn't been run in 7 years. So the questions:

1) It has electric start and Manual start. When I pull the manual start pawls don't appear to be engaging. Is there a trick to this - I don't think its an indication of compression because pawls aren't engaging to turn the engine over

2) What should I be looking at, examining and/or replacing on a motor that hasn't run in 7 years. Lower unit was rebuilt just before it was put away apparently.

Thanks in advance for the responses

Rob

hardwater fisherman

Lieutenant Commander
Look under the top secret files it is the first thread in this form. Then look at it has been sitting for two years what should i do. Also know as wakening a sleeping outboard.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
1. The ratchet may be missing---the part the pawls grab onto. Or the recoil starter may be assembled wrong. Or all gunked up with hardened grease. There isn't that much to go wrong with them.

grumpyguy

Seaman Apprentice
thanks for the replies. I don't think the ratchet is missing as the motor appears to be complete. Even the compression release arm is there. Oh well a little research and then off to the mechanic.

grumpyguy

Seaman Apprentice
No Title

I took the recoil starter off and sure enough it was gunked up with hard grease. I cleaned up the pawls, greased and re-assembled it and discovered the real issue.

The pawls are extending to engage just fine however when they retract they slip the collar around the center nut and then get stuck on the collar past the recess they are supposed to sit in.

The tiny springs on them appear to be weak.

Also, the collar they engage into is not centered, kind of loose and I can turn it. Is this normal?

I've attached a picture that shows the 3 pawls with the cover (for lack of a better term) off them. if you look at the center nut, it sits in a recess (trumpet shaped piece) and directly under that is the collar that the pawls extend into - there are three recessed sections that the pawls move into when extending. That collar is not centered (spring inside seems to be pushing on it) and can be moved up/down slightly pushed on.

I don't know why this would prevent them from turning the motor however.

any suggestions?

Attachments

• photo222041.jpg
    photo222041.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 0

racerone

Supreme Mariner
That collar should be centered.---Someone has not assembled this correctly.----Remove bolt and the trumpet and assemble the spring properly.