Pre-1979 vs. post-1979 controls, anything different besides end connectors?

Tomtina3

Cadet
I have a 1978 Evinrude 70 hp, came without control box or cables. I have it hooked up to an OMC control box which is most likely 1980's or later. Other than th eend connectors on the cables, is there any difference in throw length or anything with the later control box? Main reason I ask is that even after adjustment, the throttle cable does not seem to push the throttle all the way to WOT. Could this be th combination of pre- and post-1979 control box/cables? Thank you!

1983 ercoa 21'

Chief Petty Officer
Did by chance did you get the gear and throttle cables backwards? I have used both types of controls on same motor without any problems

F_R

Supreme Mariner
There is a considerable difference in the way the pre/post '79 cables mount in the box, and they aren't interchangeable. If you have cobbled something up to make it fit, that possibly could be the problem. The travel or "throw" is the same, but where it is at the end of the stroke could be wrong.

Tomtina3

Cadet
Thanks Ercoa, it runs fine otherwise, so if I had the cables switched, it would not go into reverse I think, and it does just fine.

F_R, my cables are also post-1979 so they fit the post-79 box ok, and seemed to hook up to the motor-end fittings ok also. But its definitely a 1978 motor.

Maybe someone can tell me how to see if the throttle cable is reaching WOT, by looking at the throttle lever on the engine?

F_R

Supreme Mariner
I don't think the motor year has anything to do with it.

At WOT, the timer base will be all the way to the rubber stop and the carburetor butterfly shafts will be open all the way. ALWAYS adjust the control to fit the motor, never adjust the motor to fit the control.