1977 Johnson 35hp flywheel replacement

IcarusII

Cadet
Hi All, i recently tried to replace the flywheel on my outboard, and when i got the old flywheel off, i noticed some damage underneath it.

See attached link for the parts i am referencing

SO... i went to install the new flywheel, and i found that number 26 (stator assy.) looks to be cracked in a few places and rubbing on the magnets on the inside of my old flywheel. There is also some play in the whole assembly (stator, plate...). I should probably replace this, but i read somewhere else that there was a "kit" you could buy to resolve the issue with the play. Does anybody know of this kit? I think this contributes to the other issue, that when i jog the flywheel by hand, it appears to "catch" the stator and rotate the plate a little. I think this could be the magnets touching. Can anybody shed a little light to what is going on here?

Thank you

Attachments

• 20150520_132923.jpg
    20150520_132923.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 0

F_R

Supreme Mariner
The magnets must not contact the stator, and if they do you must find out why and repair it. That stator looks burned up to me.

IcarusII

Cadet
I was already planning on replacing the stator, but there is plenty of play in the stator plate and i dont want to get a new one on and have the same issue. I need some help with figuring out why that play is there

F_R

Supreme Mariner
You will have to do an on-site inspection. Could just be the plastic retainer ring. But worse, could be the armature plate and/or neck on the crankcase. Or all of the above.

You got me wondering about mine now. Scared to look. Lots of hours on it with no problem.

Last edited: