Putting a V6 power head on a V4 midsection....possibe?

bob johnson

Rear Admiral
OK so we all know that the sites that list parts for J-E motors says parts interchange, when they DONT!..they just say that because the part will actually bolt on...but its not made for that application!. case in point they say a long drive shaft will fit and extra long shaft motor....sure...it will fit...but it wont work...

anyway..I picked up a nice 1997 Fast Strike 175(only offered in 20" shafts)....but my boat project has a 25' transom. I have a complete extra long midsection from a 1996 115 ocean runner that I was going to use with a rebuilt 115 power head I have... but Id rather put a 175 on the boat. I believe the outer exhaust housings are the same between the v4 and the v6 motors. I am thinking the difference is the INNER exhaust housing. And it would need to be changed out from the v4 midsection and a v6 INNER exhaust housing used to mate up with the V6 power head. This extra long shaft 115 midsection I have came with the bigger V6 lower unit( 15 spline prop shaft). so my guess is that the extra long shaft v4 might come factory with the larger gearcase!..The extra long shaft gear cases have an extension that reaches higher up to meet the one size inner exhaust housing from what I can tell.

I have a blown V6 150 intruder...that I could tear down and remove the power head and see if it fits, before I do it to the perfectly good FAST STRIKE 175...

BUT... I am hoping someone here knows the answer and could save me all that time. because I still have lots of work to be doing on the big starcraft boat this motor will go on.

it seems there are a lot of components these 60 degree loopers share between the v4 and the v6 including all the hp models that were offered.

hope to here from someone, I have a busy weekend ahead...

thanks

BOB

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
All the 60 degree mid are the same up till about 99 as they changed cowling and shifter mount which requires a .485 longer shift rod. You will need to change gear ratio in lower for using the V4bas its 2:3 and the V6 is 1:87

bob johnson

Rear Admiral
All the 60 degree mid are the same up till about 99 as they changed cowling and shifter mount which requires a .485 longer shift rod. You will need to change gear ratio in lower for using the V4bas its 2:3 and the V6 is 1:87

thanks for the reply!!

so putting the longer drive shaft and shift rod and other few pieces from the lower I have (x long V4) on the fast strike gearcase would be all I need to do?

other wise it might be cheaper and faster to buy a used V6 gearcase ( there are a few here for under $350) than to buy the new gears.. and rebuild the gearcase

seems it can get confusing....because the X long gear case on the V4, is a V6 gearcase...BUT it has different gears than what would come on a V6 MOTOR....

that's a tip for the guy looking for a used 25" V6 gearcase....CHECK THE RATIO!!

the manual calls it out in decimals
V4 20"- .500,
V4 25" (V6 housing) -.44,
both V6 versions - .540

BOB

Last edited:

nphilbro

Petty Officer 1st Class
I love this stuff. Always working against the parts list from a dozen or so parts motors myself.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral
well i went ahead and took the power head off my 'spare" parts motor V6. luckily it was a fresh water INTRUDER, and came apart with ease!! so I pulled the inner exhaust housing, and compared it to the inner exhaust housing of the V4....the V6 fits perfectly into the Midsection exhaust housing...but from the picture you can see there are some INTERNAL shape differences between the two....

nzivti.jpg

in the end the differences in the Lower Unit gears made me change my mind. I went and bought a really clean 175 ocean runner with a bad piston...it has the long shaft... Ill just put the intruder power head on it.

bob