1973 Johnson 115hp L/U Drain plug problem

KockBurn

Cadet
Hey guys, 1st time boat owner a '71 galaxie. Just finished restoring it to its previous glory. The upholstery, deck, gauges and installed a Ski Pylon. All the googling I did during repairs virtually led me back to these forums everytime so thanks a bunch for the wisdom you've shared here.

So I've got a 73 Johnson 115hp according to the tag 115ETL73? Can't make out the last digit and am unable to match my tag to a service manual. There is a 115ETL74 and a 115STL73 but I haven't found a service manual for mine and the local dealer wasn't able to help with model or serial # either. However both of those manuals seem to be spot on so far for the work I've done.

My question is about my L/U drain plug O Ring/washer(the lower one I fill from) I changed my L/U oil and got 2 new washers when I bought my oil. The upper plug had an identical washer on it no worries there but my fill plug had no washer/o ring on it when I drained the oil(not stuck in the hole of L/U either). I put the washer on it and put my lower drain plug in. Problem is the plug is no longer flush when tightened up due to the washer, it's protruding from the L/U quite a bit it just doesn't look right. I'm worried it'll eventually start to work itself free since its sticking out now and probably only 1/2 the threads are being used. I also noticed my lower plug is beveled where the threads end and it gets wider as it gets to the head of the plug where the top plug is just threads and the head no bevel. As I said there was no washer\o ring on it when I removed it.

Going by the parts list for the 115etl and 115stl it only has a washer on the top plug and not the lower.(although it looks like there should be an o ring in the pic but no part is listed other than the lower plug)

Is that correct? I've seen people here say time and time again make sure to always replace them and don't run without.

I've attached a pic of the diagram and the parts list with matching #s is here
http://shop2.evinrude.com/Index.aspx?s1=52rsa4ambh8rhiv1dbreb48940&catalog_id=5&siteid=1

So do I run without one on the lower plug?

Grab a smaller O ring that'll squish down better?

Or run without?

Also had no water and next to no filings(on the plug)in the oil when I drained it and knowing the previous owner he probably ran it the last 3-5 years without checking it so I got lucky there.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 0

racerone

Supreme Mariner
When it left the factory it had a washer on each plug.----No telling what modification / repairs have been done.---Post pictures of plug and bottom hole.-------It should use a washer on it !!

KockBurn

Cadet
When it left the factory it had a washer on each plug.----No telling what modification / repairs have been done.---Post pictures of plug and bottom hole.-------It should use a washer on it !!

Be home in a couple hours and I can snap some pix. Drives me crazy they list one complete with part # but not the other. I wasn't happy to see no washer on there and I'd just like to get it figured so I can get some fishing on tomorrow.

Other link was dead I'm going off of this http://www.theoutboardwiz.com/pages/OemParts#/Johnson/115ETL74B_1974/GEARCASE/33626/42916

racerone

Supreme Mariner
????---So you do not believe that there is a washer on each screw ???----And why not ?----It shows the washer on the bottom screw !

Last edited:

KockBurn

Cadet
????---So you do not believe that there is a washer on each screw ???----And why not ?----It shows the washer on the bottom screw !

Where on earth did I say I don't believe it?
I'm pretty sure I said its not listed as a part and if you check my 1st post you'll see that as well( the part where I say it's not listed as a part but it's in the picture). I didn't disagree with you, in fact all I said was I want to get it figured so I can go fishing.

By the way local dealer gave me wrong O Ring so it's already fixed. Thanks for your time, but seriously I didn't doubt you I wouldn't have posted here if I was going to disregard what was said but thanks anyways bud.

I would have responded earlier but I was you know getting the washer and installing it. No need for assumptions.

Last edited:

KockBurn

Cadet
I just wanted a Part # since the top and bottom aren't the same. A part # means I can call 3 shops and ask specifically instead of just rambling off need a washer for a 73 115 which is what I did the 1st time and I ended up with one washer that fit and one that didn't. Top and Bottom are different sizes. Maybe modified maybe stock. Doesn't matter it's fixed. Thanks

racerone

Supreme Mariner
When it left the factory the upper plug and lower plug were the same.---Both washers were the same.