1975 Evinrude 4 - anniversary tune-up!

dean2287

Cadet
I have a 1975 Evinrude 4 outboard that is now 40 years young. It's been running ok but starts with difficulty at times, so I decided to give it a well deserved tune-up. I rebuilt the carb, though to my surprise it was already very clean and all the valves and needles were working smoothly. I changed the gearcase oil as well. Still not starting great.

I spoke to a fishing store salesman who suggested Seafoam, saying it wasn't magic but pretty close. I ran some through with about 2L of gas, though I misread the mixing instructions and put in way more that suggested. However, it ran through and blew out an impressive amount of white smoke. I then went back to a 24:1 oil/gas mix with a small amount of Seafoam, and adjusted the idle and high low needles.

Well, next time I had it out on the water, it ran like a champ! Started easy, ran beautifully, turned the clock back 30 years. I was about ready to give up on this little motor, but it looks like she's going to see many more years of use.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
That motor doesn't appear to have needle bearings on the connecting rod. I'd keep using the 24:1 fuel mix JMO

dean2287

Cadet
I actually mix it down a little more than 24:1, more like 30:1...just keeping it well lubed. I figured with the Seafoam treatment it would be a good idea to run it with a little more oil than necessary. Doesn't hurt...or does it? Maybe I'm losing some hp?

Last edited:

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
I actually mix it down a little more than 24:1, more like 30:1...just keeping it well lubed. I figured with the Seafoam treatment it would be a good idea to run it with a little more oil than necessary. Doesn't hurt...or does it? Maybe I'm losing some hp?
No should not hurt..

Really just curious as to why you used 24:1 when the general recommendation is 50:1 for all OMC motors from 1964 onwards.

Boobie has a valid point. Although the crankshaft bearings are needle bearings the connecting rod big end and the piston pin bearings are not.

If you run it hard 24:1 would be a good idea otherwise 50:1 or as you do somewhere in between, but probably set it up for a particular mix and stick to it