How to remove lower unit on 1993 Johnson/Evinrude 30HP?

Yukoner Ted

Cadet
Greetings from Whitehorse, Yukon, where it is a balmy +25C, and the fish are biting!

Have all the bolts on my J30RLETA out, and even have the lower shift rod connector undone. Cannot remove the lower unit to change water pump impeller. Tried disconnecting the lower shift rod connection behind the water intake screens just in case that was it. Can only lower the unit about three inches, where it stops solid.

Evidently, the top shift rod connector needs to be undone, but I cannot see how to get at it.

Is there a thread or a link on how to do this? Did a seacrh a few minutes ago on here, but cannot find one. Newcomer on here, but not to outboards. Changed lots of the older style with little sideplate that came off to show the connection. Glad I'm not on the side of a river somewhere! :)

Thanks,
Ted

Last edited:

175se

Petty Officer 1st Class
The shift rod behind water screen, when you separate them lift up on the nut you disconnected to remove the little plastic keeper. That lil bugger is slotted, I use a blade to separate it (careful it likes to fly away) the nut is what is holding it so it wont drop. Remember to put the nut back on before its all the way on.

Yukoner Ted

Cadet
Okay, got it! That keeper is certainly well hidden, isn't it? Would have taken a while to figure that out, half-way between Dawson and Eagle. :confused:

Now just have to line everything up when I put the lower unit back on. Any tips on that?

Thanks again,
Ted

Last edited:

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
Prepare to look for those little clips for a long time. They have a tendency to fly away upon installation. It's called the Jeeze clip as in "Jeeze, where did that thing go!!!"

On a side note, the barrell nuts that slide over the clips tend to get hung up on paint and crud. Emory cloth to clean the rod ends while disassembled will help them slide up and down on the rods to aid in assembly.

Rotating the flywheel clockwise while seating the lower will help the vertical shaft splines engage the crank splines.

Yukoner Ted

Cadet
Thanks to both 175se and jakedaawg.

Well, I have it all back together, but no water coming out of the telltale. Put lower unit back in, hooked it up to the water muffs, and tested. Did it twice. Thought for sure the water tube was in the right hole.. :D

There is water coming out of the exhaust cover when it is running. That make me think it is pumping water up the tube, but the tube is not in at the top.

Ran it long enough to be sure the manifold was full, about a minute. Shut it down before it got too hot.

Ted

Last edited:

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
You need to run it in a bucket. I use a plastic 55 gal drum cut in half. Drill a hole in the bottom for a plug. (in the bottom of the bucket)

Yukoner Ted

Cadet
Checked the telltale with a 12" piece of 200# test monofilament halibut leader. In and out several times No apparent blockage. :)

Ran the lower unit using an electric drill in a big plastic garbage can half full of water. Pumps plenty of water. :)

Put water tube into upper connection, and charged with garden hose. Lots of water coming from telltale. No apparent manifold blockage. :)

I must somehow keep missing the upper tube inlet. Going to try inserting in the upper first, and see if I can slide it onto the pump as the lower unit is installed.

Thanks for all your suggestions. Great site, this.
Ted

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Water tube MUST be installed into the grommet on the motor / exhaust tuner first.---It can not be done reliably by putting it in the pump first.---The tube usually stays in the motor.

Yukoner Ted

Cadet
Yes, finally dawned on me that that would be the answer. First try, and it was working properly. Water, water, everywhere!

Can't believe I was that dense. Oh well, I know now.

Thanks to all of you who chimed in here. Let me know if you are ever up this way....we'll try and hook you up with some giant lake trout, beautiful grayling, or big northerns on a fly.

God bless,
Ted