​Need help with the correct carb fuel lines for 89 Johnson 70

sumocomputers

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am replacing all the smaller carb fuel lines at the "T"s for the carbs and primer solenoid. Photo attached.

After unsuccessfully trying 3/16" fuel line from the local auto parts store where all the connections leaked fuel when priming (I know, I am dumb), I realized it had to be a smaller hose, assuming 5/32".

Here is where I am running into some problems:

1. Most parts catalog don't list the part # for the fuel line pieces (epc.brp.com is down at the moment)
2. After digging, it looks like it had the following part number history: 0319733 replaced by 0327228 replaced by 0772571
3. OK cool, I can now find 0772571 by the foot, but every listing online I find says the following:

5/32 in. Recirculation Hose
Not for use as fuel line
Non-EPA compliant

Not for use as fuel line? Non-EPA compliant? What the...?

Is this the part that I need or am I missing something?

FYI, none of my auto parts stores has 5/32" fuel line (O'Reilly's, AutoZone, Pep Boys). Haven't tried Napa or Hose Pros yet.

Thanks,

Chris

Attachments

• photo220994.jpg
    photo220994.jpg
    156.9 KB · Views: 1

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Fuel hose is a tricky subject. Normal bulk hose for your engine supercedes to current part number 772571: 5/32" sold in a 25' roll. On those areas of your engine where straight fuel hose is needed, use this hose. You will also note on the fuel diagram of your engine, that it has a number of hoses with very sharp bends in them. If you try to use bulk hose in this application, the hose will kink when bent into a tight radius and will surely restrict fuel flow. The OMC engineers recognized the problems with bulk hose, and created a number of special hoses with their own part number. These special application hoses are heated at the factory to bend around a tight corner and still flow fuel at the correct volume. Your engine is somewhat unique, in that it has a lot of these special factory hoses. You need to visit a Bomardier dealer and order these hoses. These are all unique hoses which you need to consider purchasing: 333630, 334424, 332826, 333382 333380. Also a special sight tube, 333284 and a couple of spiral tubes, 331058 which may be used as hose stiffeners on a hose with a long, straight run. Also, Bombardier sells plastic snap clamps which easily clamp the hoses to the barbs. You will need to re-use the existing, or purchase a number of new ones. This is one area that I would not skimp on, as restricted hoses can cause lean conditions when running-a potential for more significant problems.

sumocomputers

Petty Officer 2nd Class
emdsapmgr
Thanks for the very detailed info.

Although all the larger "pre-bent" hoses look in good shape and was planning to reuse them, now I have the part numbers if I decide to replace any.

I forgot to mention I have pulled out my VRO2 pump and putting in just a straight fuel pump, but those pre-bent hoses are still needed even though I am just hanging the new pump. So tight in there. I have a whole set of Snap Clamps ranging from size 2-12, so I hear ya.

I will go ahead and get a couple feet of the 772571 from my local OMC dealer to rebuild the carb "T" assembly. Any idea why all the listings say not to use it as a fuel line?

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
The 571 is the superceded fuel hose for your engine. It's correct. Possible that it may not meet the 2015 Federal fuel hose requirements, but on your year engine-it should do fine.

Last edited: