9.9 evinrude wot no power

rasteele

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm not gonna do it, I was just curious. can't wait for the new jet to come

rasteele

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Got the new right 9.9 jet, this thing screams. Now, motor starts on first pull idles awesome. When I let off throttle back to idle it's all good. Go to start it back up, it idles for like second and dies, barely enough time to put it in gear and throttle it up to run. I get home, start it up to flush it out and it's all good. Won't idle when warm?

alza

Cadet
You choke it when motor cold and it starts on fist pull, awesome. But when motor still warm and you pull to start, you don't choke it, correct?

rasteele

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No, but I don't have a kill switch, so have to choke it to shut it off. Starts right up, no choke, but dies out. There is a loose wire from the ignition that is probably the switch wire but I've researched to find where that wire could connect with no results

alza

Cadet
Choking it to stop floods the motor. Maybe it won't staying running on warm restart cause it's flooded? You could try pulling the starter cord with no throttle a few times to un-flood it, then try starting it. And maybe a better way to stop motor till you get a kill switch is to pull off the fuel line connector at the motor.
It shouldn't be hard to rig up a kill switch.

rasteele

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

Here's a pic

Attachments

• photo221820.jpg
    photo221820.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo221820.jpg
    photo221820.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 0

alza

Cadet
Your kill button is on the end of your tiller, like mine used to be (I've since converted to remote steering and throttle), and you say it's not working. Tonight I looked at the tiller I removed and see there are two (dark grey) wires coming out of the motor end of the tiller. One of these wires has a flat washer-like end connector that was bolted to the motor somewhere to make connection to ground. The OTHER WIRE is the "hot" wire from the coil that in effect "gets connected" to the other wire (gets grounded) when the kill button is pressed. The end of THIS WIRE coming out of my old tiller has a short cylindrical metal stub that looks like it was once mated with a cylindrical female connector on the end of some wire that went to the coils.

Could it be that your tan wire has this female end, and that it wants to mate with a different male stub-end loose wire in your tiller handle that you haven't found??

alza

Cadet
What I'm thinking is that maybe your motor was once on a boat with remote controls, and the guy put back the tiller to sell just the motor and forgot to connect that wire. You might have to pull off your tiller to find out. Good luck...

rasteele

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The tiller wires are all connected, I think the switch just went bad, I'm going to get a switch from auto store and just mount it on the underside of the handle in the channel that's there. By the way, motor was awesome today, this thing pushes my aluminum 12 footer like a rocket. Thanks for all the help guys