9.9 evinrude wot no power

rasteele

Petty Officer 2nd Class
And alza, when I did get it to run that one time at wot i had turned the needle allot more than a half turn

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
rasteele - your other thread about high speed jets has been combined with this one. It's confusing for those trying to help to ping-pong between two threads on the same problem.

alza

Cadet
You should try at least a full turn or more, which is maybe what you did. Your low-speed needle has much finer threads than mine. That's why I get a good idle with the needle out 3/4 turn from gently seated, whereas you get good idle at 1.5 turns out. Thus, my 0.5 turn out equates to your (1.5/0.75) x 0.5 = 1 full turn out. Of course, you could need more or less depending on how big an air leak you have -- if in fact it is an air leak rather than restricted fuel flow.

I can understand your frustration. It took me almost two seasons of testing and reading, replacing parts, etc, before I was able to fix my problem.

rasteele

Petty Officer 2nd Class
To be honest, I don't have allot of moneyjust to throw it away but I'm seriously thinking of trying to buy a new carb and be done with it, I know it's the wimpy way out. Now, my next adventure, trying to find one, thinking of just getting the 15 hp carb. I want to order a true 9.9 jet but what if that's not it either, I'm out another $30

alza

Cadet
For the price of a drill (two bucks?) you'll know if your jet is the right size. If it's way too big (like a 15 hp jet) you can get your correct one for $21 bucks from marineengine, and you may have finally solved the problem.

Can you even get a new carb anywhere? If it's used you won't know what you're getting.
Sounds like you're not thinking clearly cause you're frustrated.

rasteele

Petty Officer 2nd Class
A little frustrated, yes. Home depot and Lowes have no drill bits smaller then 1/16. So I'm not sure how to find one that small. It's a holiday weekend so I'll probably call around Tuesday top some repair shops and see if they can compare my jet to one they have that is a9.9

alza

Cadet
My local hardware store has these very tiny drills called "wire drills" -- not sold in sets but individually, and in many different very small sizes. They had one about 0.002" SMALLER THAN the hole size of my 15 hp high-speed orifice (it might have been even just 0.001' smaller, I don't remember). The sizes they had differed one to the next by about 0.002", as I remember. I used the one I bought to check the size of my HS orifice plug and to make sure it was clean. My local hardware store is a TrueValue, and if they have "wire drills" I would think Home Depot, Lowes and Ace Hardware also have them.

alza

Cadet
OR, if you have a micrometer, or can borrow one, and have sewing needles, pins, or various wires, ice pick, awl, whatever, lying around, you could try finding one that is just smaller than your orifice hole dia, and use that to check your high speed orifice size, Good luck...

nphilbro

Petty Officer 1st Class
No Title

FWIW: .034" is right between 19 and 20 GA on solid copper wire. You can bring your jet into a box store and see what sized COPPER wire fits, what doesn't to get a better idea of what size it is. Far left number is AWG and next one is diameter in inches. I don't know if it's been covered but take a pic of your needle. I think the needles for this motor are quite long while others will still thread in but not far enough to control the idle fuel setting. If I recall correctly, this carb has 4 idle jet holes in a front to back line coming from the plastic piece and into the top of metal carb throat itself. They gradually get larger in size and the needle needs to be able to completely close them off then gradually open them up one at a time. This is the place you'll want to use 24ga copper wire to to poke through and clean out gunk.

Attachments

• photo221514.jpg
    photo221514.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

alza

Cadet
Good advice from nphil. But stores closed today, and you can't get your hands on a micrometer to try what I suggested? Take an old spark plug, or one off your motor, and gap it to the size your orifice should be, then use it as a micrometer to measure the sizes of things lying around, like wires, small brads, round toothpick, maybe thin spaghetti? etc, till you find one the right size. Not as accurate as a micrometer, but at least you'll know if the orifice is way too big like it's for a 15 hp carb.

rasteele

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I took the boat today, knew it wouldn't run right but once I was out I had a brain storm. I used a screwdriver to block the nozzle off a little inside the throat at full throttle and it took off screaming. I actually found in my tool box on the boat a screwdriver that fit snugly in the idle adjustment knob hole and was the perfect length to just touch the carb nozzle. Ran like a champ all day. Tomorrow I'm going to the local marina and see if he can compare the high speed jet. Could anything else be happening that would cause this other than the jet. Everything's I took the bowl off I made minor adjustments to the float just in case but it never made a difference, thank you everyone

rasteele

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Alza, you are the man. Used my plug gapper and found a and a copper wire that matched perfectly. The orifice is almost twice the size of the wire which add up exactly as you guys have said. This whole time it's been the 15 jet and not the 9.9 like it should be.

rasteele

Petty Officer 2nd Class
One other question, how often should I change the lower unit oil and since it's a new motor to me should I do it now to be safe?

alza

Cadet
I change my lower unit oil once a year, even though I don't put many hours on the motor.

Be sure you get the right high-speed orifice. Match it to your motor # or cab #.
Like nphil said, the orifice plug may be longer than plugs that go in other 9.9 motors/carbs.

rasteele

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Alza, question, why couldn't I just hone out the throat of the 9.9 to a15 and keep the 15 jet

rasteele

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I mean I could essentially take out allot of the throat size and put a20 hp jet in? Maybe watching to much street outlaws lol. But could the 15 jet work if I used a drill to shave the throat down

alza

Cadet
I'm the wrong guy to ask about enlarging the carb throat; I'm pretty much an outboard dummy except for what I learned fooling with my motor and reading Leeroy's Ramblings. You would have a butterfly not matching the throat, etc, etc. Sounds unwise and really radical to me.

nphilbro

Petty Officer 1st Class
Save yourself the aggravation until you get a "learner motor" to experiment on. The carbs, jets, exhaust tubes all work in unison and are quite specific to the desired hp. I had a buddy open a 9.9 carb up part way for me a few years back. Opened the jet up a little then found there was too much turbulence where it was squared off by the bit. Not worth the trouble, in my opinion. Learned a little, though.