9.9 evinrude wot no power

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
It is usually more simpler than that.... such as debris in that small line to that plastic fitting OR a clog in the fitting itself.

However, if you're running in a large trash can, be advised that the pump IS NOT self priming and the water MUST be above the water pump. That would be about 3" above where the lower unit joint is bolted up to the long exhaust housing. Any lower, the pump will draw air!

rasteele

Petty Officer 2nd Class
It's all good, I have muffs on it but also use a big tote to try to contain the water. The muff must have came loose because all is good now. Kinda sucks because I didn't water test it today because I thought I had another issue. Thanks again Joe

tomhath

Master Chief Petty Officer
How do the spark plug wires look? As the motor spins faster the coils generate more voltage. A wire can be okay at low RPM but start arcing at higher RPMs

rasteele

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The wires look really good. But I did buy new coils and they come with new wires also. Just waiting on ups. I think I have it figured out but I can't get it on the water.busy week.

rasteele

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

One of my coils

Attachments

• photo221276.jpg
    photo221276.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 0

rasteele

Petty Officer 2nd Class
It just looks like metal showing through, that's why I was wondering

alza

Cadet
I had very much the same problem with my 1986 15 hp Evinrude: It would bog down when in gear as I advanced the throttle. Could only get near wot if I riched up the mixture by a full half turn of the low speed needle valve. But then, to run again at low speed or idle, I would have to turn the needle valve back in by a half turn.

Long-story-short, it turned out there was air leaking past the low-speed needle value "retainer." That's the red neoprene bushing with a little tab that's just outside the carb body near the outer, threaded end of the needle. In the first of three carb jobs I had done in trying to fix my motor problem I tried to force this retainer into the keyed recess on the carb, and got the retainer in there but cockeyed. What was happening is that at higher throttle air was being sucked in, making the mixture much too lean. I put a new retainer on the needle shaft and let it just butt up tightly against the carb body. The needle valve threads appear to hold it in place well enough. It has always seemed to me the retainer's outside diameter is too big for it to fit into the retainer recess with the tab fitting into the key, at least on my 15 hp carb. After this fix my motor runs great at all speeds.

If this is your problem it's a very easy fix. I wasted two whole seasons trying just about everything else. If air is not leaking past your needle valve retainer, I would look for an air leak somewhere else, like the fuel pump or fuel hose from the pump to the carb.

Good luck!

rasteele

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Mine has the plastic top and the first thing I did was replace it along with a new needle and red retainer as the other one was warped. Just replaced the coils and wires. Just got back off the water No change. But iI did a cork looking washer that in the parts diagram is number 8, 0338883. Fixing to pull it apart again and see if it's that gasket that's missing. I mean this washer could be from any number of things that's been on my work bench. When I cleaned the high speed jet last time I might have left that out, fixed jet but cause another problem.

rasteele

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Pulled it apart, washer gasket was there but the plastic top is warped again, big gap at the back right corner. I put just a little gasket sealer on it, put it back together and squeezed more into the gap, someone told me it wouldn't affect high end but Alsa, you have working knowledge that it does. Be back on the water Sunday and see what happens. Someone also commented on reed valves might be bad. Wish there was a way to tell instead of tearing it apart.

alza

Cadet
As said by Joe Reeves, the low-speed needle/carb-sections are not supposed to affect high-speed performance, but if there is an air leak into the low-speed fuel circuit like my leak around the needle retainer it can definitely mess up the high end because it results in too-lean a mix into the combustion chambers when the carb is sucking all that air. My 1986 15 hp carb is much different than your 1990 plastic-top 9.9 hp carb, but I would think an air leak due to a warped plastic top could have the same effect. I would definitely get a new top or make sure there are no leaks where it connects. Best of luck to you.

rasteele

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks for the response Alza, I caked the outside of the carb with sealer, hopefully it hold till I get a new carb. I have a9.9 right now but going to look for a 15 carb to upgrade it

alza

Cadet
I should add that when I repeatedly riched up the mixture to go fast and then leaned it back out to go slow again, as you said you did in your first post, I was somewhat fouling the plugs. So during my months of testing I would have to occasionally clean the plugs or replace them. In other words, the air leak around the low-speed needle caused not only the stalling but, indirectly, plug fouling. I didn't know why the plugs were fouling until I found the leak around the retainer.

rasteele

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My next door neighbor said it sounds like it's getting to much gas. After reading leeroys ramblings for the hundredth time I found a spot where he states that replacing the 9.9 high speed jet with a 15 hp one in a 9.9 carburetor will be to much gas and blubber around mid throttle. I'm taking the boat tomorrow with the gasket sealer on. If it don't run at wot then I'm thinking that's my next choice?

rasteele

Petty Officer 2nd Class
By saying this, I'm thinking the last owner might have switched them, I didn't

rasteele

Petty Officer 2nd Class
9.9 evinrude 1990 high speed jet

I got this motor from someone else that couldn't get it running right. I've had previous posts on here. New coils, plugs, carb rebuild with new gaskets and plastic top. no top end still, it just blubber at about 1/3 throttle. Could it be, last owner put a15 hp carburetor jet in this 9.9 carburetor. I've been through everything except the reed valves, that's my last resort.

rasteele

Petty Officer 2nd Class
If tomorrow it still doesn't run, can I pinch off a little of the nozzle at the carb throat to lessen the fuel flow. be the same as a smaller jet, right?

alza

Cadet
Leeroy (in http://www.leeroysramblings.com/John...-fuel_pump.htm ) says "In the parts list, the main-jet for the 9.9 is spec'ed out at a hole #34 (.055dia), while the 15 is #54 (.110 dia.)." That's a big difference between 9.9 and 15 hp plugs. When I did my last carb job I got a "wire drill" at the hardware store of size just slightly smaller than the orifice plug hole dia. Used it to be sure the plug hole was clean and that I had the right plug size. If you get a wire drill of say 0.054" dia you'll can easily check to see if you have the right plug. Note that wire-drill numbers are NOT the same as OMC plug numbers, but the hardware store will have a sheet to convert number size to inches dia.

rasteele

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks alza, I sealed up the carb as you said, gonna test out tomorrow. If no change then I'm gonna check out that jet size.

nphilbro

Petty Officer 1st Class
I just wanted to drop in a quick tip here.

Because the jets need to be physically cleaned to clear out any blockages, a lot of guys use a stainless steel wire from a nearby wire brush. DO NOT DO THIS! I repeat DO NOT CLEAN JETS WITH STAINLESS STEEL WIRE! It can easily open the oriface and your motor will run too rich.

The trick I figured out is to use solid copper wire like that in CAT5e communications cable, which is 24 gauge and will fit through most jets. CAT6 copper is 23 gauge and will still fit most jets. Here's the important thing: communications cable is going to be made of 100% copper, free of alloys. Copper is softer than brass so it won't easily damage the jets but will easily clean them out.