9.9 evinrude wot no power

rasteele

Petty Officer 2nd Class
When I first got this motor I could play with the idle needle while wot and every once in while I could get it to rev and haul butt but when I allowed to idle I had to readjust the slow needle, then if I was lucky, get it back on plane. I've cleaned carb twice, replaced plastic carb top, needle, needle seat or bearing and gasket. Now I'm lucky to start it and troll, new plugs too. I've done the idle screw to lightly seated and 1 1/2, as most manuals say, when I bought the top the instructions said 2 1/2 turns out leyroys ramblings said 4 turns out, by the way, it is a 1990. Carb is super clean, and after reading allot I'm sure i got Linc& sync right. The guy I bought it from said he thought it might be the power pack so he put one on that he had laying around right before I bought it, could that cause this issue, he just put another creep part back in. Please help, frustrated

rasteele

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Awesome spark, put two new plugs in this morning because one was real black

rasteele

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Just pulled the plugs for inspection. Top plug has a little oil on it but still relatively clean. Bottom plug was brown. Could top plug not be firing after more throttle, timing

rasteele

Petty Officer 2nd Class
First thing my mechanic did was a compression test, said it was great, said spark (looked) good. Could an ignition coil not operate at higher rpm,a. Just ordered two coils from iboats.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Testing or throwing parts at the problem ?----The latter gets expensive.----Sounds to me that there might be a broken reed valve.---The idle needle does not need to be adjusted for full throttle operation.

rasteele

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Wow, racerone, I'm loving the input, how can I tell if it's the reeds, as far as throwing parts at it, I would have loved to afford a new motor but I can't, so if replacing the parts a little at a time and I gain the knowledge, it's worth it. I mean, I'd love not to work on it but I'm enjoying it (until I put it in the water). Wife says hire someone to fix it. Scratch that. I get tohang out in the garage and drink some Miller lites and try to figure out what the actual marine mechanic couldn't.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Do a cylinder drop test. Remove a plug wire using insulated pliers and note what the motor does.

rasteele

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Did drop test, big change on both plugs, only did it at idle though, should I do it at higher rpm, didn't think of doing that. Hard to make that much noise in my neighborhood but right now, don't care, they won't hear it once I'm on the water

rasteele

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Just read some posts on reed valves, wish there was an easy way to tell, hate to rip the intake apart just to check

rasteele

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok, there are valve leafs but I can't find the whole assembly, will I be able to tell if the leaf valves are compromised just by inspecting them? Should I still replace the coils, just to be on the safe side

oldcatamount

Lieutenant Commander
Since you've already ordered the coils, try them before moving on to reeds. Reed valve failure is rare. Unless you over revved the motor while using muffs, chances are that the reeds are good. There is a chance of a piece of debris holding one of the reeds open. I have seen reeds that had holes dissolved through them from the operator spraying starting fluid in the carb everytime he started the motor.

rasteele

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks Oldcat, guess it's time to sit back and wait on the mailman again.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
1990 9.9 Evinrude
From what I've read, you have good compression and good spark on both cylinders... and when pulling the plug wire off the plugs individually, you also receive a equal drop. This indicates good leaf valves, plugs, compression, and ignition. What is left = Fuel problem.

In playing around with the slow speed needle valve, which has nothing to do with the high end rpm of the engine, you state that you can obtain a high rpm. This indicates that you ARE NOT obtaining fuel to the high speed passageways of the carburetor and are substituting instead a fuel flow through the slow speed passageway to obtain the high rpm.

Take that carburetor apart again and look closely at the brass fixed high speed jet which is located in the extreme lower portion of the upper body... in that bulky looking plastic part. If that jet is even slightly clogged, that engine will run exactly as you've explained. When that jet and it's related fuel passageways are cleared, you can adjust the slow speed needle valve as follows, after which you won't need to ever adjust it again.

(Carburetor Adjustment - Single S/S Adjustable Needle Valve)
(J. Reeves)

Initial setting is: Slow speed = seat gently, then open 1-1/2 turns.

Start engine and set the rpms to where it just stays running. In segments of 1/8 turns, start to turn the S/S needle valve in. Wait a few seconds for the engine to respond. As you turn the valve in, the rpms will increase. Lower the rpms again to where the engine will just stay running.

Eventually you'll hit the point where the engine wants to die out or it will spit back (sounds like a mild backfire). At that point, back out the valve 1/4 turn. Within that 1/4 turn, you'll find the smoothest slow speed setting.

Note 1: As a final double check setting of the slow speed valve(s), if the engine has more than one carburetor, do not attempt to gradually adjust all of the valves/carburetors at the same time. Do one at a time until you hit the above response (die out or spit back), then go on to the next valve/carburetor. It may be necessary to back out "all" of the slow speed adjustable needle valves 1/8 turn before doing this final adjustment due to the fact that one of the valves might be initially set ever so slightly lean.

Note 2: If the engine should be a three (3) cylinder engine with three (3) carburetors, start the adjustment sequence with the center carburetor.

When you have finished the above adjustment, you will have no reason to move them again unless the carburetor fouls/gums up from sitting, in which case you would be required to remove, clean, and rebuild the carburetor anyway.

rasteele

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm a dumb -ss , I never realized there was that brass piece there as described in manual as an orifice fitting. I thought the long tube that goes through the carb body and ends up in front of the butterfly was the high speed jet and it was always clear.Thank you Joe. After pulling carb again and finding that it was so clogged you probably couldn't get I needle through it,I blew it out and you can actually see light through it now. Can't wait to get on the water. Thanks again Joe. I have a funny feeling that other people don't know where to actually find the high speed jet. I hope those people find this post. I have high hopes for my day on the water tomorrow. Thank you iboats for your forums

rasteele

Petty Officer 2nd Class
An addendum: when I bought the new plastic carb top the instructions said 2 1/2 turns from lightly seated. Leroy ramblings says 4 turns out. But the contention is always 1 1/2. Carburetor wear and tear make it different for every one?

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
An addendum: when I bought the new plastic carb top the instructions said 2 1/2 turns from lightly seated. Leroy ramblings says 4 turns out. But the contention is always 1 1/2. Carburetor wear and tear make it different for every one?

Don't know about that... suggest you follow my line of thought though. :)

rasteele

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Motor running good in the yard, nice idle and throttle response, have a good feeling have yet to water test it, now there is no water coming out of pee hole, it never ends. Could it be as simple as the thermostat and I don't have to get at the impeller?