2003 Johnson 70 HP - Remove Lower Unit - Replace Water Pump

ga_sportsman

Cadet
Hey Folks. I'm looking to remove the lower unit on my 2003 Johnson 70hp (which is really a Suzuki DF70 behind the scenes) so that I can service the impeller. I've removed the 7 main bolts (3 on each side) and even the hidden bolt underneath the trim tab. I have the lower unit somewhat loose, but I think there is one more step...a gear linkage perhaps? There is also some wiring that looks like it may have to come off also. Does anyone know what else I need to do (other than the bolts) to get the lower unit off?

BatDaddy1887

Chief Petty Officer
You most certainly have to disconnect the shift shaft. Not sure of that particular motor, but on other Johnson's I have owned, there was a small cover plate on the side of the exhaust hosing leg. Remove that cover and you had access to a coupler sleeve where the drive shaft could be disconnected. On other motors I have owned, you disconnect it inside the cowl under the carbs. Perhaps a visit to the local bookstore is in order to browse their maintenance manuals.

daselbee

Commander
There is a pin just above where the shift shaft comes out of the lower unit. You can see it easily. Pull that pin out, and the shift linkage is disconnected.

daselbee

Commander
Heh heh heh....reminds me of a story.

Guy brought his DF 70 to me to fix, saying it wouldn't shift.
Now get this.....he was on the water, first trip out after having someone put a WP on, and he was coming in to dock. When in forward, the shift rod
pushes down to engage the gears, and lifts up to go to reverse. Obviously, neutral is in the middle of the travel.

He was in forward, pulled back on the control handle to reverse, and gave it some throttle to slow his forward movement.
Well, it was not in reverse. The pin you remove to disconnect the shift shaft had fallen out sometime during his trip. There was no pin in there to allow the lifting up process of shifting to reverse to occur, so he stayed in forward, didn't know it, and when he gave it throttle to slow, he actually rammed forward and plowed into the dock.

So, when you put that pin back, be sure to put the little keeper on also.