1983 115 Johnson flooding

Funsize

Cadet
I just purchased a boat with a 1983 115 Johnson on it. It has never idled great. I took it out three different times and I was letting it idle at the dock while going to back the trailer down and it died. It cranked right back up and as I was heading for the trailer it died again and wouldn't crank back up.

Next day it cranked fine on muffs in the yard but died shortly after and wouldn't start back. Since then I've only got it to crank a couple times.

I've pulled both carbs and cleaned them, they both have new kits in them, also checked the solenoid primer and it is working properly. I rebuilt the fuel pump, which looked brand new, and it's still flooding.

After letting it set for a while it will hit one time and then it will not hit any more. I also replaced the plugs.

I don't know where else to look. The shop that rebuilt the engine is a month out and I really don't won't to have to wait a month to get it going. If anyone has any other ideas on what I can check I would sure appreciate the help.

Thanks!

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Possible ignition problem. When cranking, check all 4 plugwires to make sure they are sparking. That engine will seem to run just fine with only 2 or 3 plugs firing when it's sitting on the trailer. You need all 4 firing when the prop is buried nearly 2 feet underwater. Weak ignition components tend to fail once the engine heats up to normal operating temps. Run fine when cold, the crap out when it warms up. Get a spark tester, or use an inductive timing light to check for spark. When you overhauled the carbs, did you remove the idle jets and visually inspect them to be sure they had no debris in them?

Funsize

Cadet
I've checked spark and it is sparking great on all cylinders. I removed the idle jets and cleaned them good. I checked the reed valves and replaced two that seemed faulty. I've rebuilt the fuel pump and the starting solenoid. Still have the flooding problem. It will crank at times but it will die while on low idle. Most of the time when it dies on low idle it will not crank back.

I really don't know where else to look. I'm going to call the shop tomorrow and see about getting it in.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
When the engine finally dies out, do you still have spark on all 4 cyls?

Ok by no means am I close to qualified to answer much if any questions on here but I recently purchased my first boat and had a similar predicament. My 81 Johnson 90hp was flooding and would not idle properly. After tearing apart the carbs, trying timing and lync and sync still nothing. What I somehow miraculously found was my ignition push to prime contacts were stuck in the closed position which I then found had fried the plunger inside the primer solenoid. This (from my guess) was basically priming the cylinders non stop and therefore I could never get a decent idle. I have a new (to me) solenoid coming in this coming week and will be able to see if my guess is accurate. I hope this helps at least eliminating that as an issue for you, through my hours upon hours of reading this forum I had a hard time finding much info on the primer solenoid and troubleshooting process. Good luck

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Is the red lever on the choke solenoid in the "run" position? It won't run in the "service" position. That engine is a bear to start if the choke solenoid is not functioning at all.