Help please johnson 33 hp seahorse 65-70 motor started 3 weeks ago fuel issue i think

Jay33hpjohnson

Seaman Apprentice
I have a johnson 33hp seahorse electric start. I bought the motor for 125$. I brought it home sprayed a bit of starter fluid in the carb and it fired right up in the trash can ran two three minutes. I shut it off. Three weeks later i took the motor on the lake and i couldn't get it to stay running. I sprayed starter fluid in the carb it fired up no problem but would then shut off. I dont think its getting fuel. I need a manual and some help figuring out why it wont stay running now. There is also a small hole three four inches below the carb i noticed seemed to be blowing exhaust or something out of it. I will upload pictures tommorow. Can anyone help? Did i make a big mistake buying this motor. I have a 16' bass tracker panfish aluminum boat i figured this motor would be a great match for my economical boat. I'm second guessing the purchase now. Plese be honest if this motor is a lemon or just plain crappy motor i wont be mad just need someone with more knowledge than myself. Thank you for all the help. New to the forum

racerone

Supreme Mariner
When it left the factory it was a very good simple motor.---Condition today is anybody's guess.---So report the compression values and post whether the spark will jump a gap of 1/4" or more.

Jay33hpjohnson

Seaman Apprentice
There is no compression or spark plug problems it was just running the other day. Very strong engine. I have a fuel problem. Not sure if i flushed a bunch of junk around in it. I'm going to check the fuel pump in the morning and then i suppose it has to be the carb. The mysterious bolt that seems to be missing below the carb at the very bottom of the engine worries me i am wondering if i could have a vacuum leak. That would explain the fuel issue. I'm not sure tho. I am mechanically inclined worked on many vehicles and some small engines.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Good luck with your project.-----I recall checking a motor similar to yours some years ago.-----I showed the owner that it had broken piston rings------He said ---" no way and I heard this motor run last week "----So he left and never came back.-----That was a good thing.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Don't be fooled into that "it's gotta be the carburetor" thing. Maybe it is, maybe it isn't. You need to do a quick check on all systems. You did the compression, and that seems ok. Even if you have spark does not mean the coils are good. But it is a good place to begin. Speaking of coils, those motors a notorious for having cracked coils (ALL omc motors of that vintage are). If they are cracked, you are wasting your time until you replace them. Get them here at iboats.

You mention the missing bolt and air blowing out the hole. That is an obvious problem that needs to be fixed. That is crankcase compression blowing out the hole. Many people don't realize a two-stroke needs compression both in the cylinder AND the crankcase.

Jay33hpjohnson

Seaman Apprentice
Raceron. I was the person who had this motor running three weeks ago. I did not hear from a third party it was supposedly running. I'm confident this is a simple fix. I just need help trouble shooting the motor and the forums have worked for me in the past. I just need to find the right person who is very familiar with the motor. It may take a bit of time but i know that person is on this forum

Jay33hpjohnson

Seaman Apprentice
How would i check the coil to see if it is cracked or not? Can i visually inspect it or do i need to put an ohm meter to it?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Sorry mate I have repaired these motor for many years and I know them inside out.----Follow the simple instructions and answer the questions and you will get results.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
And I worked for the dealer that sold them new. 24 years experience as a full time outboard mechanic. But we can't convince you to have confidence in us. That's your choice.

Jay33hpjohnson

Seaman Apprentice
Ok, thank you message heard loud and clear. I will perform the test as you instruct. The pull start is very hard to pull as well not sure if that helps you.

Jay33hpjohnson

Seaman Apprentice
Should i replace the missing bolt/screw in the crankcase? I am going to do the impeller tomorrow as well. I was not trying to offend anyone with my response. I will defer to your experience. Thank you for your help thus far.

Jay33hpjohnson

Seaman Apprentice
I will check the spark plug today or tomorrow as you have instructed. What else would you like me to test? If i can get a list of instructions on what i should test i will do all the tests by the weekend. My boat is at my storage unit.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
You do not need to check the sparkplug.---You need to test the ignition system to see if it produces enuff voltage to jump a gap of 1/4" or more !

tomhath

Master Chief Petty Officer
Ok, thank you message heard loud and clear. I will perform the test as you instruct. The pull start is very hard to pull as well not sure if that helps you.

I have the same motor. It is hard to pull, I need both hands with a foot braced against the transom. but it always starts on one or two pulls.

As the old masters have said, compression and ignition are relatively easy to verify so get that out of the way first.

Jay33hpjohnson

Seaman Apprentice
You want me to take the spark plug out with the spark plug wire on the spark plug then see if the spark will jump 1/4" ? If i understood you correctly?

Jay33hpjohnson

Seaman Apprentice
Ok thank you all for the help im going to replace the bolt in the am and check the spark as instructed. Thank you for letting me know the pull start is hard to pull. I felt like that was a good thing. If it was low compression it wouldn't be hard to pull. Then i tested the compression and race told me it was good numbers. Again thank you so much for the help

Jay33hpjohnson

Seaman Apprentice
I have fixed the motors carb problem tore it all apart today. It's running like a top now. I have a new problem i took the lower unit off to replace the impeller and it is nasty. I would upload pictures but the forum says i exceed 200000 bytes i am using my ipad. If anyone knows how i can upload i will show you what I'm talking about. There is a seal below the plate the impeller spins on i think it is letting water pass down to the gear oil. By the way you guys helped out a bunch thanks for the continued support.