Continuous beep on 89 Bass tracker Johnson Evinrude VRO 60 HP power tilt trim

tomb198269

Cadet
Hello,

I ran WOT for about twenty to thirty minutes up and down the river. Then I heard the continuous beep from console. Oil level is good, using 87 octane non ethanol gas. The motor does not shut off but does not go fast. I am assuming its a safety from overheating. Because i cannot go WOT it just bucks. I have not changed the impeller as well. It shoots a strong stream of water out of the pisser, so I am as assuming the water pump is good? Could it be running to lean?

Some thing I have done.

New fuel line
changed oil
new fuel filter
rebuilt/clean carburetors
good compression

Thanks
Thomas

175se

Petty Officer 1st Class
When you say continuous beep, do you mean solid or intermittent? Solid usually overheat that triggers the slow system, would cause the motor to buck (around 2500 rpm). If that's the case you might want to check the t-stat, if it doesn't bypass it will overheat. jmo.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
The telltale stream is an indication that the impeller in the lower unit is functioning. It does not indicate that the thermostat is opening properly. If the stat is stuck shut or has debris inside that is blocking it (seaweed, sand, etc) -the engine will surely overheat. The constant horn comes on when the head temps hit around 212 degrees. Certainly way too hot for running the engine. You may want to borrow a laser temp gun to accurately measure head temps.

tomb198269

Cadet
When you say continuous beep, do you mean solid or intermittent? Solid usually overheat that triggers the slow system, would cause the motor to buck (around 2500 rpm). If that's the case you might want to check the t-stat, if it doesn't bypass it will overheat. jmo.
A solid beep, turn it off for about 5-10 minutes and it shuts off, and if I go above 3K RPM and it triggers again (shortly after cooling down). But I can chug to get to the dock on anything under 3K to 2500 RPM. This definitely is sounding like an overheat issue.

Anyone know where the thermostat is located at. I am going to look at the manual I have here shortly.

WernerF

Petty Officer 1st Class
Order 1x #37 (0434137) and 1x #27 (0329830). You may get by with just the vernatherm #39 (0394411), if you know that the plastic parts of #37 are not melted/swollen/deformed.

lmuss53

Lieutenant Junior Grade
There is no limp mode on this year motor, I;m almost certain.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
The 89 60 hp comes with the factory SLOW system that year. It will limit rpm's anytime the power pack gets an overheat signal. (test the signal to be sure it's actually an overheat)

tomb198269

Cadet
well I took her out again and ran her for about an hour. But this time i didn't sit on WOT all the time. She ran fine no problems. Now should i be able to run at WOT for longer than 30 minutes? I checked the service manual and it doesn't saying anything about running at WOT for this x amount of time?

The RPM's at WOT are around 5900

**I did not replace the thermostat yet.

Last edited:

lmuss53

Lieutenant Junior Grade
OK I guess I learned something then, I thought you would need a ECM to limit the revs, I have an '89 50 I'm getting ready for my pontoon, I do see that the wiring harness is different from a 1984 I had here but the CDI box looks the same, that's why I thought it had no limp mode.

Tomb, it should run all day at or near WOT if you want to. I personally don't usually run wide open for more than a quick burst. I try to cruise at about 70 to 80 % throttle to save on the motor and on fuel.

tomb198269

Cadet
Well i got around and changed the thermostat and it still over heats.. My brother did notice there was water coming out of the lower cowling..