1985 Evinrude 30HP Smoke and water everywhere

Newinboating

Cadet
I just partially rebuild my 1985 Evinrude 30hp. Put back together and today tried to start it . After few hours and changing bad spark-plugs finally started. But. 1. Smoke and little bit water started to come from the top of the lover engine cove (between engine and lover engine cover). 2. Water coming from exhaust and little bit smoke. water pump wasn't working. When I changed it, I changed it with thermostat. Then It wasn't pumping anyway. So I changed Exhaust cover and Inner gaskets( They were leaking). I did maintenance on carburetor, changed exhaust cover gasket, exhaust cover inner, cylinder head gasket, water cover gasket, By-pass cover gasket, thermostat, Housing to cover seal, Power head to lower unit Gasket, New water pump, Gear case complete rebuild, and New Paint job every where. I guess that is it.I'm at the point of quitting. Please help. Any suggestions?

Last edited:

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Unfortunately, from what you've said, it appears that you may have possibly rushed through that job and various areas of the powerhead etc, have loose bolts, damaged gaskets, whatever.

If smoke is due to exhaust... gaskets are leaking or sealing surfaces are damaged, or both.

If smoke is due to overheating... you've overlooked something in assembling the water pump OR blockage exists somewhere in the water passage areas.

There appears, unfortunately, to be too much wrong to simply try to give advice. I suggest that you dismantle that engine slowly, inspecting everything as you dismantle, looking for discrepancies (Gasket failures, Gouged sealing surfaces, Uneven sealing surfaces, Anything improper).