6hp evinrude drive shaft pin

kingi

Cadet
I have just changed the water pump empeller on my 1979 evinrude model #6904E.<br />I will mention I had trouble removing the lower unit but after reading previous forums on this subject, it was made easy,thanks guys for that. Anyway when I pulled the unit off the roll pin at the top end of the shaft was broken. I read that this pin holds the powerhead seal in with a spring & cup. I have looked up the leg but can not see much.Could this have fallen out at some stage. Is there a web site with an exploded view of this part so I can see what should be there. <br />Cheers Kingi (NZ)

Re: 6hp evinrude drive shaft pin

Hello Kingi,<br /> If the roll pin broke off the shaft, the cup and<br />spring would have slipped down to the top of the<br />water pump housing. In any event, you must get<br />these parts from your nearest OMC dealer.<br />From top on down:cork gasket,stainless steel plate,ceramic seal with "o" ring,spring,and metal cup washer.If you purchase a Seloc manual 1971-to<br />1989,on page8-48 there is a diagram of the shaft<br />with all the components mentioned.<br />Good success<br />charlie boom boom<br />memb.#20518

Hello Kingi,<br />I also forgot to mention to pick -up a bag of<br />assorted roll pins at any auto supply store, and<br />when you find the one that fits very snug, cut it<br />to about 3/4" length and tap it in the shaft.<br />Now get the parts,<br />Charlie boom boom<br />memb.20518

emckelvy

Commander

NO, on the later models with a shift shaft coupling accessible through the oval window in the side of the leg, you can remove the lower unit and the carbon seal/wear plate/spring assy stays roughly in place, such that you can reinsert the lower unit.<br /><br />If you'll look up the leg with a strong light, you'll see a slot through which the driveshaft roll pin can pass freely. If the driveshaft is not in the correct position when you remove the lower unit, it'll tear the roll pin up.<br /><br />When you're reinstalling the lower unit, be sure to rotate the driveshaft (have the lower unit in reverse and rotate the prop CCW), or otherwise have it positioned such that the roll pin is aligned to pass thru the slot.<br /><br />If I recall, the pin is stainless steel, don't replace it with a mild steel pin. These are still available at the dlr. If you can't find one at a dlr, and have to use a regular steel pin, be sure to grease up that area real good with waterproof boat grease, or spline grease, to keep it from rusting. Grease up the driveshaft splines, too, but don't leave any grease on the end of the driveshaft.<br /><br />BTW if you have any doubts as to the condition of the seal parts, you'll need to remove the powerhead for access. Not a bad job, if it hasn't seen a lot of salt water. Otherwise, you'll want to heat the powerhead bolts with a small torch to help free them. <br /><br />HTH and G'day...............ed

kingi

Cadet

Thanks Charlie & Ed,<br /> Ed, thanks for the feed back. My model you have to put it into reverse to allow the bottom end to drop enough to gain access to the shift rod bolt.(only found this out by reading previous forums).<br /> When I first dropped the leg there was nothing sitting on the waterpump housing.Maybe the owner before me removed these pieces. The other thing is the leg is a darker blue colour than the rest of the outboard,maybe these pieces were left out on the change over who knows.<br /> I will have another look up the leg tomorrow with a strong light.I'm at work on night shift now so better get back on the job. will let you know how I get on.<br />Thanks again for the quick response.<br /><br /> Cheers Kingi

kingi

Cadet

Just one more lame question, Is this the only seal on the bottom end of the crankshaft, the engine runs as sweet as a nut so I thought if the main crank seal was missing the bottom cylinder would run lean by sucking in air. <br /> <br /> Thanks Kingi

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

I'm having a very hard time believing a 1979 would have that kind of seal. A 1959, absolutely! A 1969, I'm not so sure. But a 1979??? Highly doubtful. But I don't have a parts breakdown, so I can't say for sure. Could you have an older gearcase on a newer motor? I would expect that about the only difference between the newer and older gearcases would be that pin.

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

the 1979 6hp still uses the carbon seal, spring, oring, etc. just like the very early models.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

yep<br />and the missing pin is very common. buy the pin from the dealer and use care on reassembly. the seal assy cant fall down as the driveshaft pasage is to small.<br /> good luck and keep posting

kingi

Cadet

Gidday all,<br /> Got home and had a good look up the leg housing,after cleaning out all the sludge I could see the seal,spring assy and slot for the pin to fit through.I have fitted a new roll pin 3/4'' long.<br /> All feed back has been spot on,you were right on the money RodBolt.This has helped steer me in the right direction and a successful repair.<br /> Thanks again everyone, this web site has been a great find on the net<br /> Cheers Kingi :) :)

jolietjake

Cadet

I just replaced mine on a '72 6 hp it is a 3/32 pin (bought a stainless one at marine store) cut to length, put pin perpendicular to prop shaft before putting shaft up leg.

Klaus Wachter

Recruit

This is not actually a reply, but another question on the subject of seal support pin or drive shaft pin. If the pin touches anything and compresses the assembly, will not the whole assembly also rotate? The pin is quite close to the ridge that the washer sits on and would not compress anything anyway. I must be missing something. If anyone can shed some light on this, I would much appreciate it.
K Wachter

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Yes, the pin pushes up against the spring retainer, compressing the spring, and yes the whole assembly rotates. Except the plate and gasket at the top. The sealing action takes place between the rotating carbon seal and stationary plate.

Attachments

• 5.5 Carbon Seal.jpg
    5.5 Carbon Seal.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 1