'66 Johnson 40 - no power getting to starter

Sozzy1269

Recruit
I recently aiured a '66 Johnson 40 electric start, model 40653B to replace my '63 Evinrude 28 Super Sea Horse. The 28 lost compression, so I have taken the starter from it, as well as a couple other items to piece together the 40, as the starter was bad and it was missing a couple items.

I have installed the wiring and box that came with the 40, and am fairly certain that I have everything put together properly, but I am not getting any power to the non-battery large post of the solenoid, where the starter cable connects. I have tride both solenoids, both ignition switches, in all combinations I can think of. I am getting switched power to the left small post. I simply cannot get it to power the starter.

When I hard wire 12volts to the starter, it spins up just fine, so I know the starter is good.

I can pull start the engine, and though I have only fired it shortly, it sounds healthy.

I am pretty new to the world of boats, but am pretty well versed in vehicles. I understand the magneto system on my motors is quite different that a car.

Any ideas? Thanks!

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Ground out the other small terminal on the solenoid and try it.

Sozzy1269

Recruit
That did it! I knew it had to be something easy. Thanks a bunch. Got it running with the ear muffs and she revs up strong.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Don't know about your engine setup, but usually the grounded side of the starter solenoid has a neutral grounding switch to prevent starting in any gear. So check for such a switch and connect the little grounding side through that neutral switch. If your engine doesn't have such a safety setup, please make sure you start the engine only when in neutral... JMHO!