1973 Johnson starter spring removal

rcb130

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hello All,
I have a 1973 Johnson 6 Hp Model 6R73S. I removed the starter to access the carb nuts to repair the carb. The spring for the recoil starter unwound itself in a hurry.
When I put it all back together I cannot get the spring to take up the pull cord. When I go to rewind the spring it sounds as though something has come out of a retainer slot or something similar. I am unable to remove the spring from the bottom retainer to see what the problem is. How do I get the mainspring loose from the bottom retainer to check for broken or misaligned parts? I do not want to damage the mainspring.
Thanks
rcb130

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I normally use a screwdriver and small hammer to remove the nut.---Use a needle nose and re-install the nut.---No need to disturb the starter that way.---Have done this many , many times and now you know why it is done that way.

rcb130

Petty Officer 1st Class
Racerone, Thanks for the tip, however I am no longer able to use it.
Vic.S Thanks for the link. I used to have this site but then I lost it on a computer crash.
I still have the problem of trying to get the spring to release from the lower retainer. I have tried pushing down on the spring tab in the bottom but it will not separate from the lower retainer. Any tips on how to get the spring to separate from the lower retainer?

Bullie

Petty Officer 1st Class
You have to remove the retainer plate at the base to remove the spring. But, I don't know why you would need to remove it unless you are cleaning it. If the spring isn't broken you should be able to reassemble the starter and then turn it (I may have the revolutions wrong...the guys that know will correct me.) 12.5 rotations counter clockwise. You will then insert your starter rope (I used 59" of rope) with the knot facing forward. At that point your starter will wind the rope for you. Then just make sure the rope guide is doing its job and thread the rope through the cover and attach your handle.

I don't think I left any steps out. Lots of better advice to follow if I messed it up.

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
12? turns for later models ( eg my '84 model) but I think its 16? for older ones

The link in my previous post gives the number of turns.