110 Johnson VRO fuel question

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
If you pull the fuel line off to let it run out of fuel in the fall-that's a problem. The VRO fuel pump will keep running and will keep sucking oil thru the oil line. As the engine slowly runs out of fuel, it will continue to pump oil into the carb bowls. When the engine finally dies, the carb bowls will be filled with oil. When you go to start it up next spring, you will have a heck of a time trying to start it with all that oil- which will need to dissipate. You may have to remove the carb drain screws, to drain the oil out. While out, prime the fuel hose to get new fuel into the carbs. After priming for some time, the new fuel will start to mix with the oil and flow out the drains. Then re-install the bowl drains. It's a lot of work, as you have found out.

x182dan

Seaman Apprentice
Hmm thats very interesting makes sense. I have gone through the carbs and replaced hoses and everything already. Everything looked pretty clean when I checked as I did rebuild them 2 years ago.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
?????---Are we sure here that the VRO will completely fill the bowls with oil ?---Or is that a guess ?

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
I don't mean that it will fill the bowls completely. As the engine is running out of fuel, it will continue to pump some oil. It doesn't run long on the residual fuel in the carbs, pump and system. The point is, that it's just enough oil in the bottom of the bowl, that it won't easily start next spring. Can't tell you how many 2 stroke VRO engines used to come in each spring, that wouldn't start due to oil in the carb bowls. As the new 4 stroke engines take over the market, we don't see as many of these each spring.

x182dan

Seaman Apprentice
I don't mean that it will fill the bowls completely. As the engine is running out of fuel, it will continue to pump some oil. It doesn't run long on the residual fuel in the carbs, pump and system. The point is, that it's just enough oil in the bottom of the bowl, that it won't easily start next spring. Can't tell you how many 2 stroke VRO engines used to come in each spring, that wouldn't start due to oil in the carb bowls. As the new 4 stroke engines take over the market, we don't see as many of these each spring.

Any idea why it will start off of starter fuel and then once it starts it runs off of the fuel in the tank. I can run it as long as I want and it will running and idle perfect until the next day? It seems to only take the smallest amount of starting fluid to get it running. Thats what I dont understand. If I had carb issues why does it run so good after its started? I did clean them and they looked perfectly fine to me.

Last edited: