110 Johnson VRO fuel question

x182dan

Seaman Apprentice
Hey guys I have a 1989 110 Johnson VRO on my bass boat. I had the thing running pretty good last year up until I put it away for the winter which was the beginning of December. I put startron in there every time I fill up and put more in there for the winter storage. It has always fired up on me every spring except this year. It wouldn't start or even attempt to start. First I checked for spark and that was good so next was fuel. It started off of starting fluid. Ran then died. Tried starting again still no go. Starting fluid got it running again. This time it kept running. Its now running off of the gas in the tank and seems to running pretty damn well. Shut off and restart now without starting fluid it starts nice and easy off the gas. My question is what would cause it to no start off of the gas then start running after I got it running off of starter fluid? Just wondering what causes that?

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
replace your spark plugs. They are probably partially/ completely fouled.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
What does " running pretty good " mean here.-----Have you ever done a compression test on it to keep track of the health of the motor >

x182dan

Seaman Apprentice
Running pretty good means it never gave me any issues. It always fired right up and idled and ran perfectly. I was thinking maybe I am having a primer issue? Meaning the starting fluid is acting like the primer to get it started.

x182dan

Seaman Apprentice
Any ideas what it could be? I don't want to start throwing parts at this thing. I still leaning towards a primer issue of some sort. It started good for 2 days after I got it running off of the starting fluid. It is now back to how it was before I got it running. It will not start now. Not a sputter or anything. I'm sure I can get it to run again once I spray starting fluid in there. Any ideas?

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
Okay, compression is probably good but why dont you check it if you can, no sense wasting time on a worn out motor. Next thing to try is this, when you go to start it cold lift the cover off and turn the red valve on the primer solenoid so it is perpendicular to the solenoid, does it start? if yes we have a problem in our enrichener circuit. If no we need to move on. There are two hoses that come off the primer. One comes from the fuel source the other goes to a tee that sends it to the carbs. Pull off the one that goes to the carbs, have someone crank the key, if fuel spits out its not the primer/enrichener circuit.

So, if everything is good there, its time to go back to basics, compression test, spark test, fuel sample, fuel pressure, clean carbs etc...

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Any chance you pulled the fuel line off the engine to let it run out of gas last fall?

batman99

Petty Officer 1st Class
Assume new gas, new plugs, each cylinder PSI is > 110 and its plug wires are looking great.

I read many times that 2-stroke engines are fragile (compared to 4 stroke). Especially when sitting 3+ months. With this in mind, recommend "de-carb" its 2-stroke engine. Lots of You-Tube videos on how to decarb 2-strok outboards using low cost Seafoam. Think there's lots of previous decarb threads as well. If it's hard starting after low cost decarb task, recommend cleaning and/or installing new carb kits (in each carb). Go with new gaskets, new needle and new seats. Ethanol gas loves eating the insides of carbs. And, it loves leaving gum behind as well. Especially after 5+ years of usage. My previous Force 120 was hard to cold start and felt like something was holding it back from its WOT power. I installed new Carb Kits with new needle / seats (within both of its carbs) and afterwards, she ran like a kitten during idle and felt like lion at WOT. re: Amazing before and after results - all because its carb's little holes were full of gum / gel.

Decarb details at: http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engi...ance/johnson-evinrude-outboards/404690-decarb

Hope this helps...

Last edited:

x182dan

Seaman Apprentice
I manually turned the lever on the primer and it didn't make any difference. It will run for the rest of the day off of the gas in the tank if I get it started off the starting fluid. It will restart perfectly fine also. If I wait until the next day it will not restart at all unless I use the starting fluid to get it running.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Do you raise the fast idle lever ?---Do you push the key in while cranking it over ?

x182dan

Seaman Apprentice
Yes I know how to start this thing its not a new boat just a new problem. I have tried every different way to start it. I can't even get a sputter or anything unless I use starting fluid. Once I do it will run good and even restart without starting fluid unless the next day. I am leaning towards primer bulb or fuel pump but I'm not sure.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Facts.---I do not know how much you know about your motor.---Do not know what tools you have in your workshop.----Fact.---If you brought every nut / bolt / part of your motor to me in 10 baskets I could assemble it without a glance at a manual.---So have someone operate the primer bulb while you crank over the motor with the key pushed in.---Report what happens then.------Also if your starter / battery and cables are not in peak condition the motor will crank slow and there will be no spark to start it.

x182dan

Seaman Apprentice
I'm still trying to figure this thing out. I tried pushing the primer as I turned the key and that didn't make a difference. I then disconnected the top line going to the vro pump and I have fuel coming out of it when I push on the primer so the fuel is getting to the pump. I then pulled the screw out of the fuel bowl and I had fuel coming out of the carb! So tell me why my bowl is full of fuel but it won't fire?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Only by doing some trouble shooting / answering questions will you make progress.----So what are the compression values on this motor ?-----Will the spark jump a gap of 3/8 " on each lead with the sparkplugs left in the heads ?----Does spark jump that 3/8" gap , yes or no ?

x182dan

Seaman Apprentice
I know what your asking me to test but I can't see how this is a spark issue or a compression issue. I've checked for spark and its getting good spark. Once I get it started off of starting fluid it runs perfect. It will restart perfectly fine also until the next day when I loses its prime.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
When you winterized it last fall, did you pull the fuel line off the engine while it was running and let it run out of fuel?