1958 johnson rdel 19 c

valk241

Cadet
i just purchased a 1958 johnson rdel 19c yesterday and replaced the plug wire that was bad the guy before me said he had his mechanic replace the coils. pulled it over and there is no spark. i believe it is because i do not have the plug that is on the side pf the motor plugged into anything. it is a 7 pin plug. i was wondering if anyone has a wiring diagram so i can make my own wiring harness from the motor to the kill switch, key, starter siloinde,ect i found online a diagrram what issuppose to be there on marineengines .com but i was wondering if any one could tell me what each electrical pin is suppose to go as well.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
You do not need the plug to check for spark. Or to run the motor for that matter.

What kind of plug wire did you use? Your motor needs solid metallic core wire, not suppression wire.

With good coils, properly installed, clean points (I mean CLEAN), properly set to .020", and a good condenser, you should have fire.

valk241

Cadet
i dont have the 7 pin plug wired up in the boat end isnt there a key or kill switch or something that needs to be wired up

racerone

Supreme Mariner
You misunderstand.-----------When the plug is removed from the motor you should have spark !------------No battery or any kind of switch is required to be plugged in to get the spark.

valk241

Cadet
This is the plug

Attachments

• Snapchat--8952431469529176641-1.jpg
    Snapchat--8952431469529176641-1.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 0

valk241

Cadet
i was just thinking that the key or kill switch would make it not have spark

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re think your thinking. The motor runs under it's own power (magneto) like a lawn mower or chainsaw. The key switch is for starting and stopping it. Without the switch and plug, it will just keep running unless you stall it out or run it out of gas.

rolmops

Vice Admiral
That plug is there in case you want to have electric start. It would go to a little box with a solenoid and hookup for a possible generator. The way your engine works does not need any of that stuff. All it needs is a pull rope and it will produce its own electricity to make your spark plugs give good spark. The pins are for the starter,the electric choke and the generator. the female side of that pin has a bolt that holds the two sides together and doubles as a ground. it goes into the hole that you see on the picture. On my 57s I had all of that just for the heck of it. On mine, the starter switch could only start the engine. There was no shut off. I usually pushed the choke button which flooded the engine and it would stop that way. These engines are a bit thirsty but they are very hard to kill. You can actually run them on a 1:50 mix because they already have needle bearings, but given the venerable age of this engine you are better off running it at a 1:32 mix
Maybe you can send a picture of each side of the engine. That way we can see whether or not it has an electric starter and maybe a generator.
Valk?? Dutch?

Last edited:

valk241

Cadet
It does have a generator and electric start i can post pictures later tonight.

two wires from the coil area go into that plug i pictured above what ate thise for

racerone

Supreme Mariner
????-Those 2 wires are joined together to ---STOP--- the motor.---When the plug is not in your motor the motor will run !!!!

racerone

Supreme Mariner
You should remove the flywheel and inspect the duel ignition system found there.----Not hard to do that.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
No Title

EVERY 1958 Johnson has cracked ignition coils unless they have already been replaced.

Attachments

• photo218209.jpg
    photo218209.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 0

valk241

Cadet
I did that yesterday and it all looked fine to me what should I be looking at

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Are the breaker points CLEAN and set at .020 " ?? Is all the wiring hooked up properly ??

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
If the magneto parts look "new" they've likely been replaced at some point. BUT, as boobie noted, they points must be CLEAN!!! Run some 400-grit sandpaper through them, folded over on itself. Then run a strip of business card through them with lacquer thinner, carb cleaner or acetone on it to remove any grit, oils or particles.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Well if the coils are not cracked, you got lucky there. Next most likely cause would be dirty/worn/corroded breaker points.

rolmops

Vice Admiral
There might be another problem. On the side there is a mercury switch,it is an emergency shutoff. Check that and disable it