2001 ( 225 HP ) Evinrude ficht sparkplugs

olm

Seaman
Please advise, I have a pair of 2001 225 hp Evinrudes. I was told that the spark plugs had to point to injectors or it would cut spark plug life in half. They are costly. In order to achive this I had ot tighten some of the plugs more than I have ever done on any engine before. Like realy lean on the wrench. Is there a trick to this or is this the way it is ? old plugs installed at dealer were very tight also. plugs came out at about .80 gap after one year and maybe 200 hours they should have gone in at .30 is this correct?

seahorse5

Rear Admiral
Re: 2001 ( 225 HP ) Evinrude ficht sparkplugs

The plug gap can either face the injector or be within 90 degrees of either side of the injector. That give 180 degrees of leeway. If a plug is torqued to 15 ft. lbs and faces beyond the 180 degrees, it will fit OK on the opposite bank of cylinders. Never exceed 22 ft. lbs. when torquing the plugs, some factory literature erroneously stated up to 30 ft. lbs.<br /><br />The gap is .028-.030" and the plugs are suggested to be replaced at 100 hours.

DHPMARINE

Captain

olm,<br />Aiming the electrode isn't for plug life.It's for performance,clean operation,etc.<br />DHP

DHPMARINE

Captain

seahorse,<br />I am wondering about the 30 lb myself.That is VERY tight for a plug.Are you saying BRP (OMC) has rescinded the 30 lb ?It is listed in manuals newer than the ones that had the 22 lb rating.I also haven't seen a bulletin on it.<br />DHP<br /><br />Also those plugs do not always work on the opposite bank.

robbyusa

Seaman Apprentice

I would buy a manual before doing plugs as crazzy as that sounds. <br /> I am no expert on ficht's but I did do a few plug replacements some years back and all I remember is that ther was a minimum and a maximum torque setting alowing you some leeway in order to hit the targrt Zone. <br /> If you miss in one bank try the other. I have had a few plugs that did not fit either bank! <br /> I could have swore (but I won't) that there was less than a 180 degree target zone but I am not sure. I did use a special guage that was marked to show the target zone. <br /> I worked on early fichts so things may have changed. Good luck

olm

Seaman

I tried switching the plugs around to different banks and even the other motor. That did not work and at $12.50 a pop I could not go back to buy more plugs to keep trying. If the plugs are already over toqued can they still be backed up or are they shot. I realy like these motors they run good and clean but this plug buisiness is for the birds.