56 evinrude 15 HP carb question

JoeFromAkron

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So probably a silly question.... I have rebuilt the carb on my 56 evinride 15 HP. It ran fine all last year and on my second trip out this year I noticed gas squirting out of a hole in the top left side of the carb when I primed the fuel tank and it wouldn't start. I figured it was flooding the motor something was wrong so I would just rebuild it. After I cleaned and reassembled it, it still has fuel squirting out the hole but not all the time, just when it gets under pressure. It has the dual line pressure tank. Is this normal, like some kind of overflow protection? It does not seem normal to me and I never noticed it before. It ran today but I had to let it sit for a while priming it so I figure I flooded it again? This is only my second carb rebuild so I don't really know what I'm doing.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
You are forcing the fuel past the float valve, and out the vent. Normally that would not be possible with just primer pressure. So the assumption must be that the float valve is not doing its job of shutting off the flow when the bowl is full. Suspect a faulty float valve, a faulty float, or float not assembled / adjusted properly. Or dirt holding it open.

JoeFromAkron

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm gonna go with the float not being adjusted properly. I have it assembled right (there is not a lot of ways I could do that wrong I don't think). I had it clean enough to eat off it and blew it out with the air compressor.

I figure I need to bend the float arm just a bit more to get it closer to the top body of the carb?

pro-crastinator

Chief Petty Officer
No Title

This is what needs "attention"

Attachments

• photo216523.jpg
    photo216523.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 0

JoeFromAkron

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Mine had the cork float in it also but it was pretty bad so I replaced it. Do you mean the clip? I didn't use it because it didn't have one to start with. Should I have? I did use the new float valve pieces. It was a lot of fun because someone used lock-tite on it. Also I know I put the low speed needle back in wrong. I put the packing nuts in front of the bushing, but that wouldn't effect this right?

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
I use the clips on all my rebuilds - it's an improvement over the original design as it helps prevent the float valve from sticking closed.

JoeFromAkron

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I believe I got it. For some reason I had it in my mind that when I read the float should be parallel with the carb body what I was got was "bottom of the float should be flush with the carb body". I can now pump up the gas and nothing leaks. I wound up using the old cork float also after I touched it up a but with sandpaper and superglue after reading about that in another post on here.

Thanks everyone!

JoeFromAkron

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well scratch that. Its still flooding. Is it possible for me to just be pumping the tank to much? I read about the test to hook a hose to the carb and blow into it after reassembely and the float valve seems to work like it should. I cant blow air into it at all if I hold it upside down. The gaskets were in pretty bad shape but I thought I matched them all up right.

Is it possible that if I put the wrong gasket on the high speed nozzel (the boss gasket?) that this would be happening? That one basically crumbled when I took it apart the first time.

JoeFromAkron

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Got it now and figured out how to synchronize the the throttle control arm. It turns out that the butterfly was not even opening 1/2 way at full throttle. It's gonna be a completely different machine now.