1961 Evinrude Starflite III Timing ( Model # 50931 A )

kino986

Seaman
Hi I am starting a new thread from previous discussion in which I recieved a ton of help.
I have a 1961 Evinrude Starflite III as most of you may already know who may chime in with additional information.

I was able to take off the carb off and since I do not have the centering tool for the nozzles I left them in place and the inside of the carb looked decent, there were some crude inside but nothing severely bad, the cork float looked fine as the shellac appeared to be still in tact and not eaten away from gad, the needle was in good shape but the fuel line nozzle into the carb was clogged as i cleaned the nozzles with high pressure air.

I put a new cylinder head on the left side of the motor looking from the back end, I put a new fuel pump on as the old one was clogged with rust from previous owner running steel tanks.

Took the distributor cap off and that appeared to be in good condition. here is where I need help.

As far as taking the cap off the rotor looks to be in good condition but I have a brand new one from a parts motor but the metal end is just a tad bit shorter.

I am having an issue locating the points once i take the cap off which exposes the rotor and 4 metal points that look like a sharpened end of a pencil.
are the points that need to be gaped at 0.020 under these?
also the distributor pulley is not timed as well as the flywheel as both have scribe lines for timing alignment. how do I realign these scribe lines both on the distributor pulley and flywheel.

the reason why my engine is backfiring i tend to believe is because its out of sync and not timed correctly therefore the points are not giving off a correct signal.
am I wrong?

any help would be appreciated.
thanks in advance.
Kino.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
There are 2 different rotors on V-4 motors.---One for the battery ignition and one for the magneto model.--Make sure you use the correct one.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
I don't understand what you mean by sharpened pencil points, but yes the breaker points are gapped at .020"

Align the timing mark on the flywheel between the barks on the recoil starter and engine block. Align the mark on magneto belt pulley with the button on the safety switch. Install and adjust belt.

Safety switch missing??? Then use your imagination to visualize the button centered between the two screw holes where the safety switch is supposed to be.

Agreed, the magneto uses a different rotor than the battery ignition model. Timing marks are different also. Use the ones I just described.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Kino, Aren't the points on top of the distributor pulley under the metal cover?