1977 Johnson 35hp flywheel question

IcarusII

Cadet
I have a 1977 35hp Johnson , model # 35E77C and I'm looking to add a recoil starter. I have the electric starter currently installed, but i would like to add the recoil starter as a backup for those times when i drain the battery (accidentally of course). After looking around online for a while, i can only find the manual start only, and electric start only flywheel. I was wondering if a manual/electric flywheel even exists for this model. Currently installed is OEM part # 0581751. I was hoping to find something similar to OEM part # 0583474. Everywhere i look, the specs on on the flywheel exclude the year of my motor.

Can anybody let me know if there is something that would fit my model motor, or if this motor can only be started by manual OR electric and not both.

Thank you for your help

Bosunsmate

Admiral
i cant answer directly what you want but on my 1982 electric start motor there is a little notch on the edge of the flywheel. So if your battery runs out you put a rope, with a little loop on it, in that notch and you can then wrap it around the flywheel and manually start the motor.

IcarusII

Cadet
I do have a notch in the flywheel, and i have a rope to pull the motor, but i was hoping to add the recoil starter so that i dont have to open the hood up. The addition of the recoil starter is more for convenience then a necessity.

Bosunsmate

Admiral
what are you running that drains the battery?
I take out a 600 Cold Cranking Amp which starts my 1982 60hp no worries every time, i also keep a battery meter on board

IcarusII

Cadet
I have a little electric trolling motor, and there seems to be something else which drains the battery. If i leave the boat in the water overnight, it always seems to drain the battery. One of these days i'll install a shut off switch to the battery. Usually when i take the boat out its for a week or so, to somewhere isolated, so if i can help it, i'd rather not carry around any extra equipment

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
The electric start flywheel should be able to accommodate a recoil starter with no alterations needed....

Bosunsmate

Admiral
Electric trolling motor sounds like a reason. Yes i put in one of those battery off switches. I just got one for $5 that is a battery terminal with a screw on it, you screw it down to have a connection and up to isolate the battery

F_R

Supreme Mariner
I don't know without researching it, but at least some years have a taller hood size for the recoil start, in addition, of course, to the hole for the starter cord.

IcarusII

Cadet
Chinewalker see attached link. This is what my flywheel currently looks like. There is nothing for the tooth of the recoil starter to grab.

F_R i have the taller hood and recoil starter, bought them just recently and it wasnt until i went to mount everything that i discovered that i have the wrong flywheel

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Interesting. Sorry, I don't know the particulars, but they offered an electric start kit as an accessory for the 1977 35hp. So, one would have to think that the recoil start flywheel could be used with the electric starter. If that is true, then there must be a dual-use flywheel somewhere. But I don't know the numbers.

EDIT: The original flywheel for recoil start was 581751, and for electric start was 581749. Trouble is, the part numbers have been superseded four times. But they all wind up with the same number 5803001 for recoil and electric. Gotta be dual use, right?

Last edited:

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
The flywheel in the pic is not what I had pictured in mind. I've worked on a lot of 35s over the years and have never seen a flywheel like that one. They've all been essentially the same casting with either a smooth or toothed ring on the outer rim. The one pictured is quite different. In any case, I would think you could put a later flywheel on in place of the one you have, one that incorporates both the ring gear and the recessed top that engages the recoil. PM me if you want, as I have one off a 1980 that I think will work.

IcarusII

Cadet
F_R thanks for looking at those part numbers. I believe the part number they end up as is 0583001. I'll look into that to see if it is what im looking for.

edit: Im weary of trying the part number listed above because in every description it excludes the year of my engine (see link)

Chinewalker I was wondering if the later flywheels would fit, and i hope thats the case. Just be a shame to spend some money to get the parts here and find out theres more/less teeth or some other trivial thing that i didnt quite pick up on

Last edited:

F_R

Supreme Mariner
No Title

Here is the flywheel on my 1984 electric start 35. Clearly, it also has the recoil pawl notches. Can I guarantee it will fit your 1977. Nope, no guarantee.

Attachments

• photo220212.jpg
    photo220212.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 0

IcarusII

Cadet
Im not sure if i should start another thread or not, but its part of the same project so i am going to go here...

See attached link for the parts i am referencing

SO... i went to install the new flywheel, and i found that number 26 (stator assy.) looks to be cracked in a few places and rubbing on the magnets on the inside of my old flywheel. There is also some play in the whole assembly (stator, plate...). I should probably replace this, but i read somewhere else that there was a "kit" you could buy to resolve the issue with the play. Does anybody know of this kit? I think this contributes to the other issue, that when i jog the flywheel by hand, it appears to "catch" the stator and rotate the plate a little. I think this could be the magnets touching. Can anybody shed a little light to what is going on here?

Thank you