1994 evinrude 25 hp 2 stroke, why is this motor so big and heavy?

wpg manitoba

Seaman
Why is this motor so big and heavy? The guy I purchased this motor from said it was pretty much the same size as the 35hp. So I am just wondering why is that? I thought the whole point of two strokes is that they are supposed to be lighter, so why is this motor so big and heavy?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The block and lower unit are fairly hefty.------Most folks think that newer motors are lighter.------The older 22 cubic inch 25 HP was definitely lighter.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Might want to give Evinrude a call and have them explain it to you!

:)

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
You think that's heavy? Get a new one! The new Evinude ETec will be, minimum bare bones, 150 lbs. and goes up from there if you add long shaft, electric start, etc. and Mercury's 4-stroke will be a back breaking 175 lbs. to start!

And in truth, it's really not all that heavy, comparatively speaking. Yes, the 1970s era 25 was lighter, but it was also a wrung out motor that didn't have near the lugging power that your 25 will have. The '70s motor got its ponies from 22 cubic inches, while yours gets them from 31.8 cubes. The '70s model was screaming its guts out to achieve 25 horses.

And, size wise, the 1950s models were even larger! Of course, they were also almost 36 cubic inches.