1958 evinrude starflight 50

Mercerizer

Recruit
I've tried searching for this motor on here. There isn't even an option on the filters for a 50... There's 48 then 55. Can anyone give me some information or direct me to a forum post that already exists?

I also wanted to purchase a manual but the "Johnson/evinrude" manuals only say they cover the 50s that are 3 cylinder. What am I missing here?

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
I just did a search (above) for......... 1958 50hp....... which brought up a slew of posts.

Mercerizer

Recruit
I just did a search (above) for......... 1958 50hp....... which brought up a slew of posts.

Yes, 2000 posts come up and a few of them vaguely reference the 1958 "fat fifty" I was looking for more specific information.

I also asked a question about the manuals. I assume you didn't plan on helping me?

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Should be able to find a manual through Ken Cook Company. As for specific posts, you're essentially asking us to do the searches for you here. Try narrowing your searches with keywords specific to whatever issues or motor system you're interested in. A general search will return general results. If you want to look up something about the lower unit, add those terms to the search.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Joe can be a huge resource for outboards, dont confuse short answers w attitude.

What info do you need, specifically?

I have a service manual for my 1957 Fat Fifty Johnson and parts diagrams for it. Ebay and other sources, its a nearly 60yr old outboard, not every boat part retailer will have a service manual or parts info.

Are you looking for a complete tear down and rebuild topic, from start to finish on that outboard? Best I know, that doesnt currently exist.

This is a huge repository of info, but just like a library you may have to dig around to find it and it may be scattered across multiple topics, requiring you to piece it together.

I havent torn into mine yet.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
JB, I did not think a 50HPV4 was avail from Johnnyrude in 1957.

Merceriser, The Fat Fifty was only made in 1958 and 1959. There were likely not a ton of them made, but they pop up all the time in this forum. I expect it is because they were pretty low-tech and robust. You will need to count on guys like Joe Reeves, as he is one of the few who actually worked on them professionally. I had two of them, years ago, and can still remember some things about them.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
yur best bet is to visit ---aomci-----Lots of grey haired folks there who will help you.---I used to work on those smelly gas hogs , but no more for me.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
What are you looking for on your motor? I'm one of those grey-haired old folks that was working at an Evinrude dealership in 1958 when it was built. I suppose you know it became a 75hp in 1960 and was made for years.

I'll bet Ken Cook has the manual.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Oops
JB, I did not think a 50HPV4 was avail from Johnnyrude in 1957.
Yes ^^^, I missed the typo:
.......... 1957 Fat Fifty Johnson
It's actually a 1958 Johnson Fat Fifty:
IMAG0791_zpsce1527ab.jpg

a V4S10 ;)

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
I also asked a question about the manuals. I assume you didn't plan on helping me?

Why yes, I planned on helping you as I've been in this line of work since 1960 and have even worked on those Fat FIfty's when they were new (Leftover 1958/59 models). It's quite unlikely that there's anything that I don't know about them... and I do have the manuals. Whatever you wanted to know, I would have been happy to enlighten you with the answer. However, with the attitude you've displayed on your very first reply, I fear that any information forthcoming from my direction would be met with sarcasm and a argumentative statement. Bottom line... yes, I've withdrawn my plan.

Mercerizer

Recruit
Ok well it looks like I have gotten off on the wrong foot here with the veterans. Usually when someone puts......... a ton of...... little dots they are being either sarcastic or showing attitude so I apologize for thinking that were the case in this situation. If you prefer not to help I will be fine with that. However, if you choose to help me in the future I would be grateful.

I will check out the Ken Cook Company thank you for suggesting that Chinewalker.

To be clear I didn't think that I was asking people to do the search for me. I know that sometimes, on forums like these, there is a guy who would know or remember a post being made about this particular motor and have no problem posting a link for me. I will continue my search for information.

Thank You

Mercerizer

Recruit
What are you looking for on your motor? I'm one of those grey-haired old folks that was working at an Evinrude dealership in 1958 when it was built. I suppose you know it became a 75hp in 1960 and was made for years.

I'll bet Ken Cook has the manual.

I am a novice mechanic but have a 2-stroke 4-wheeler that I have done work on. I know enough to get into trouble.

I have a couple questions to start off with if you have the time.

1. My fuel filter is torn and I'm wondering if it just pulls straight off or do I need to remove the (I assume its the fuel pump)? Is there a replacement filter I can use or do I have to try and find some NOS?

2. The solenoid is missing for the electric choke. (I think that's what it was) Can I run a wire from the choke lever to the lever that holds the flappers and just do this manually?

I know I sound like an idiot, sorry, I'm trying to learn. If this makes any sense can you help?

I will take some pictures when I get home to illustrate my nonsense...

F_R

Supreme Mariner
1. The filter bag just pulls off. They are available right here at iboats. As an option, consider the fuel pump repair kit which includes a filter bag.

2. The motor originally had a manual choke rod & knob. Maybe it's missing too? But of course you can manually choke it.

3. A row of dots is being sarcastic? I thought they indicated a pause in thought. Guess I have to stop doing that. Things have changed, I guess. Have patience with us.