Evinrude 135hp problems (flywheel removal)

beeennny

Cadet
I have a evinrude 135hp. It has had multiple problems. I bought it as a running motor with no reverse. when i got it the flywheel was off.I had a fellow boater/friend help me get it back together. We got the flywheel on and had several sparking issues. Turned out to be a trigger problem.(very rusted and not working correctly. Finally we got it cleaned up and running. I went out to start it and started right up. Gave it a little gas and it reved up and i let it idle and shut it off. I started messing with the tilt trim then went back to start it and nothing but backfiring. I guess the last time i put the flywheel on i didnt hit it with the torque wrench before i decided to rev it. My guess is that "stupid me" seared the flywheel key. Well i put my pulled on it and Nothing. I ended up breaking my cheap hf puller. I tried another and ended up breaking a bolt off in it. I finally got three bolts in it with at least 50lbs on the puller and it wont budge. Its like its welded to the shaft. Any thoughts about removing it? ive got a back up flywheel and new key. Im ready to cut it off if i have to but would love another option. Thanks, Ben

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Have seen this before.----When the key shears it can really jam up the works.----------Install the proper puller with grade 8 bolts.----Tighten the centre bolt on the puller.----Give that centre bolt on your puller a good bump with a hefty ball peen hammer.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I agree with racerone. If you are not using grade 8 bolts, you will strip them off or worst yet break them off in the flywheel. Not an easy thing to fix some times either. So buy the proper bolts and follow racerones's instructions... Oh and let us know the outcome...

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Make sure you only use a factory replacement key or it will keep shearing.

beeennny

Cadet
Thank you I will try tonight and let you know. I have heard heat is the best option but I don't want to replace the top seal. I have been using grade 8 ss bolts with no luck. Hopefully the hammer will work without messing up the crank. ( I wont go too crazy on it)

racerone

Supreme Mariner
It takes a hefty bump to lift that flywheel off the taper.-----When the flywheel nut is torqued to 100 FT-LBS the flywheel is stretched onto the crankshaft taper and it locks the 2 together to drive the flywheel.----The little FACTORY key merely locates the flywheel for proper ignition.--Heat should be avoided and normally is not required !

Last edited:

Big Fish Billy

Petty Officer 1st Class
There is no such thing as Grade 8 Stainless bolts. Stainless steel cannot be hardened due to low carbon content and are much weaker than hardened steel.

beeennny

Cadet
Sorry I didn't mean to say stainless steel. I bought a box of 3in grade 8 bolts that i have been using. I left the Puller on it over night. (an older snap on) well i went out to it today gave it a few taps with my hammer. Nothing. I decided to give it another crank with my breaker bar. I got a quarter of a turn on it and my puller snapped in half. I removed the three bolts and inspected them all three were fine but I cant believe how seized on it is. Ive had this flywheel off at least ten times the past few months to mess with the trigger and check electronics. I had anti sieze on it but i guess the key is just wedged between the shaft and the flywheel. Any more advice or tips? I was really hoping to do some fishing soon but the engines still on the stand and becoming more frustrating each day. Thanks for all the replys and info so far.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
You say you used antiseize on the tapers ??-----The tapers should be clean and dry.---No lubricant or magic potions are needed on that assembly.

beeennny

Cadet
I'm use to working on small engines and I always like to use a small amount of grease when installing (flywheels/metal on metal parts) so somewhere down the road it wouldn't take the jaws of life to remove. But in the case of shearing it didn't really make a difference.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Read the factory manual --It states to " clean the tapers with solvent and let air dry "----Makes no mention of using any magic potions whatsoever when installing the flywheel.--------Review post # 6 if you like.