Water in Cylnder

rlcarr

Recruit
I have a 115 hp 1996 Evinrude Ocean Pro. It will not reach WOT, the Tach will not go over 3200. I noticed the cylinders on the one side have a slight amount of water getting in them. They have a white film in them, the lower one has more than the upper cylinder. The compression was good (115 in the upper and 110 in the lower). Is there anyway water can get in there other than a cracked cylinder? The cylinder head was sealed up good and visually looked sound. It was a salt water motor before I bought it.

rlcarr

Recruit
I replaced the head gasket and it was still doing it. I will try the exhaust gasket.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
I would expect the head gasket on that motor to be an oring. If so, you need to put a bead of silicone around each water passage on the block, before installing the oring and head.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
OMC made two distinctly different 115's that year. Pls post the model number. They made the older crossflow model and the newer 60 degree looper engine. The looper does not have exhaust manifold gaskets. You must have the crossflow model with the bubble back manifold. It can leak water into the cyls, exp the lower ones. If it's not the head gasket, pull the exhaust manifolds off and inspect, repl with new gaskets.

rlcarr

Recruit
He is all I have done. I am not sure what the issue is. I have replaced the power pack and Optical sensor, plugs (the correct ones). Replaced the Exhaust gasket it was leaking. Nothing has helped. It still won't go above 3200 rpm's. I and not 100% certain that it is getting water in the cylinder. I replaced the O rings on the head and used silicone. The one bank is not running as hot, when you touch the head it is warm but noticeably cooler than the other side.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Do a cylinder drop test on it to see if you have a bad cylinder.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Check the bottom of the oil tank to be sure there is not a layer of water sitting there.