1991 evin 60 warning alarm help

rayray89

Cadet
Hello all

I have a new to me 1991 evinrude 60 3cyl on a 1991 tracker nitro 160

Ive had this boat out a few times no issues what so ever

When i started the boat yesterday i heard a beeep beep beeep beeep beep beeep right off the bat, drove around everything worked fine , shut motor off then started an hour later and again as soon as she fires up , beeeep beeep beeep beeep lasts about 30 seconds

,i think it sputtered at idle because it died when i loaded it on the trailer but out on the water i got to WOT no problem

The vro tank has clearly been replaced by a new modern tank im not sure if that helps ,

Thanks for any insight

Bosunsmate

Admiral
Sounds like a vro alarm and not an overheat. Id run some oil in your fuel until you sort it out.
Most people remove the vro as they are involved in lots of powerhead failures.
The spluttering before loading it on trailers a concern, warning alarms should always make you stop as soon as possible you may want to do a compression test.
Ive no idea how to check over the vro but someone else might

rayray89

Cadet
Thanks for the response , if i do premix my gas and my vro is working correctly would it be harmful to run that extra oil?

Also i use xd100 which says direct injection on the label , is it ok to throw some of that in the tank?

Bosunsmate

Admiral
extra oils no worries, your sparkplugs might need a clean afterwards.
not sure about the oil sorry, you could give them a ring , oil has to mix with the petrol at some point in the cycle but maybe there is some specific reason it shouldnt be used in pre mixing or maybe. I suspect its just got sometng that makes it better for direct injection

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
XD100 is expensive and designed for the ETEC engines. I personally would rather haver the XD50 as a premix oil. Less expensive and still overkill for that motor.

rayray89

Cadet
I know its overkill but previous owners been on it for years

I just found out i have a vro2. What are the differences?

boobie

Supreme Mariner
The vro2 is a straight 50:1 mix. Not the early variable ones depending on rpm.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
The constant beep, beep is usually indicating a failure of the VRO pump itself. That's a real danger warning. Possible you have an air leak in the oil system. Sounds like it eventually quits when the pump does finally start to draw oil for the engine. Also possible you have the wrong VRO tank. If you put the wrong year tank on an engine, you will get that constant, rapid beeping when the tank is low on oil. (that's not the normal warning for a low oil warning on your year engine.) Possible when you get up on plane and the bow rises , the oil may slosh to the back of the tank where the pickup is located and the warning may cease. Having the wrong year tank on the engine is not a problem-other than the incorrect warning horn, just remember to keep it full.

rayray89

Cadet
Thanks,

If my vro2 pump fails to pump oil do i have to replace the pump or could it be bypassed and i just premix from now on?

Edit

What i mean is to delete vro does the pump have to be changed?

Last edited:

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
You can block off the incoming oil line, disconnect the electronics and premix your fuel in the tank. The gas side of the pump will continue to pump whatever is in the tank. It will work. Many folks convert. You can even buy a VRO-look alike from Bombardier-comes without the oil pump mechanism and is cheaper than the full VRO.

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
Emd, do you have the part # for the fuel only vro substitution?

Last edited:

rayray89

Cadet
Thank you all for taking the time.....

Im still trouble shooting , when i took the oil line off (where it meets the outside of the motor) there was a bit of gas in the line i purged the line and about 2 pumps of gas came out followed by oil

Is that normal?

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Bombardier does make a fuel pump that looks just like a VRO pump, but does not have the oil pump. It is a pre-mix fuel pump only. While it's expensive, it bolts right in place and will save you about $100 over the expense of a full-blown VRO pump. Part number 5007422