1976 35 HP Evinrude Water Pump help

drsaxman

Cadet
I just bought a 1976 35 HP Evinrude model 35653S. To be safe, I dropped the lower unit, changed the water pump and plate, drained the gear case oil and refilled. I then got a storage tote, filled it full of water and fired up the motor. It started right away, but I noticed immediately that water was not coming out of the two holes in the exhaust housing so I stopped the motor, after running it for about 30 seconds.
Does it need to be running longer for water to come out? Does the motor need to be submersed in something larger than a storage tote to prime the pump? Did I screw something up when I replaced the water pump? Does the water hose need to go into a specific hole in the exhaust housing? When I dropped the lower unit, the water tube remained attached to the lower unit. I'm hesitant to put it on the water until I figure out if I did something wrong.

Thanks for the help!
Dan

Last edited:

AlTn

Commander
if the water level in the tote wasn't within 4 to 6 in. of the exhaust relief holes, it wasn't deep enough

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Does not sound like you had a deep enough water source to effectively start the pump drawing. I always use a 35 gallon garbage can and jack the front of the boat up to make sure it is deep enough. Or I use my muffs.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
1. It should start blowing water out within seconds after starting it up.
2. Very likely you missed the hole with the water tube. Yes, there is a specific guide tube and grommet it must go into at the top end. You should have pulled it out of the pump and stuck it into the upper grommet, then install the gearcase.
3. The water should be deep enough to submerge the water pump a couple of inches before starting the motor.

drsaxman

Cadet
Awesome!! Thanks so much. It's been 20 years since I've dropped a lower unit and once it came out, I was scratching my head a bit. I think you've pointed it out and the problem is two fold:
1.) Not enough water submersed
2.) Didn't put the water tube in the guide tube.

Glad I went with my instincts and killed the motor before doing any damage.
Thanks for the help. Much appreciated.