18hp Johnson lower unit water in oil ? help...

tondss

Seaman
OK so the pic is a bit blurry. Water is coming in from somewhere and I can't fine it pic below is what the oil looks like after I changed it 2 weeks ago.

tondss

Seaman
This is the picture of what the empeller sits on. Looks a little warped do i need a new one

tondss

Seaman
This is the shafts the part your looking at goes into the lower unit. Is it missing an oring? Maybe that's where the water is leaking

tondss

Seaman
For some reason the motor blew a exhaust gaskit. I was thinking it over heated so i checked the empeller. It feels good and is not fragile. I don't think i need a new one. What do you think. I want to find this water leak

racerone

Supreme Mariner
There is a groove at the top of the driveshaft for an o-ring.----The groove at the bottom does NOT use an O-ring.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
1. Are we supposed to be looking at the black area to the left of your thumb in the first picture? That is the exhaust area and it is normal for it to be nasty. A combination of burned fuel residue, water, and the oil that you put in the gas. The other possible area of concern might be the seal around the shift rod. Can't tell from the picture if it is leaking or not.

2. The pump plate is supposed to have a very slight upward cupping at the center. I can't decide, is yours pushed back down in the middle for some reason?

3. Drive shaft is completely normal and no it is not supposed to have an o-ring in that groove. The groove does serve a purpose that I won't take the time to explain, just believe.

Impeller looks good. Do you have any idea how old it is? If old, I'd replace it. But it looks like somebody has already been in there and put in a whole new pump. Perhaps he did that after it overheated?

tondss

Seaman
1. Are we supposed to be looking at the black area to the left of your thumb in the first picture? That is the exhaust area and it is normal for it to be nasty. A combination of burned fuel residue, water, and the oil that you put in the gas. The other possible area of concern might be the seal around the shift rod. Can't tell from the picture if it is leaking or not.

2. The pump plate is supposed to have a very slight upward cupping at the center. I can't decide, is yours pushed back down in the middle for some reason?

3. Drive shaft is completely normal and no it is not supposed to have an o-ring in that groove. The groove does serve a purpose that I won't take the time to explain, just believe.

Impeller looks good. Do you have any idea how old it is? If old, I'd replace it. But it looks like somebody has already been in there and put in a whole new pump. Perhaps he did that after it overheated?

Thanks Raceron and FR.
OK the empeller plate looks warped to be. In the first picture next to my thumb there was a ton of thick stuff. Looks like oil it's definitely leaking from somewhere and I have no clue where. As far as the empeller I have no clue when it was replaced. Looks pretty new. As for the exhaust gaskets could I technically use some black gasket maker and slap the old ones back on? And if that's not a good idea do I need to buy the 2 new gaskets and the metal plate that goes between or just the 2 gaskets? I will say that the bottom bolts felt a bit loose when removing the cover.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
I'm telling you that oil in the exhaust area is normal. And sometimes under certain conditions it can be quite a mess. Running properly, on a boat, on the lake it should be reasonably clean, but not clean-clean. It WILL be black and oily. That oil comes from the oil you put in the gas, not a leak.

If you are not getting water leaking into the gearcase, relax. But if you are getting water in, then find and fix the leak.

tondss

Seaman
I'm telling you that oil in the exhaust area is normal. And sometimes under certain conditions it can be quite a mess. Running properly, on a boat, on the lake it should be reasonably clean, but not clean-clean. It WILL be black and oily. That oil comes from the oil you put in the gas, not a leak.

If you are not getting water leaking into the gearcase, relax. But if you are getting water in, then find and fix the leak.

Ok. What about the gasket question then?

F_R

Supreme Mariner
If you want to do it right, get some new gaskets. If you just want to "slap" it together, I don't condone that.