1985 150 XP

1983 ercoa 21'

Chief Petty Officer
Modle # e150stlcos
this motor hasn't ran in years like 10 or more
new fuel lines,rebuilt carbs
compression 90psi on all but the lower left as looking at the back of the motor it's 85.
bro removed duel pumps added. New stats ,new impeller
took it out on lake test today and would get up around the top end and it would like shut down to idle.pull throttle back then throttle back up just fine. My question is what's going on ? Am I hitting rev limit? Later on it would surge a little on top end figure maybe a weak fuel pump or is this the limiter I'm hitting?

1983 ercoa 21'

Chief Petty Officer
Wish it was that easy to get to while under way . I'm just gonna order kits and rebuild the fuel pumps . Can anyone tell me what to expect when hitting the revlimiter and what could have been the shut down to idle?

daselbee

Commander
No rev limiter. At least one that you are likely to hit. IF it has a rev limiter, it is built into the powerpacks, and you are not even approaching the limit, usually 6700, at least on the newer models. I doubt you have a rev limiter in those packs.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Replacement dual power packs are rev limited at 5800. Sounds like the engine revs well, then slows-maybe a fuel delivery issue. The carbs burn fuel faster than the fuel pumps can fill the bowls. When it runs out of fuel, it will go to idle, till the pumps can refill the bowls. You can test that theory. Take a buddy with you next time out. When running max throttle, have him constantly prime the fuel hose bulb. If it runs fine at WOT as long as he constantly primes the fuel hose bulb, you've got a fuel supply problem. Could be incorrect fuel pumps, too small hose diameter, bad valves in the hose bulb, restriction in the anti-siphon valve, etc. The factory does not make rebuild kits for those pumps. 90 lbs is pretty normal compression for that engine.

1983 ercoa 21'

Chief Petty Officer
Replacement dual power packs are rev limited at 5800. Sounds like the engine revs well, then slows-maybe a fuel delivery issue. The carbs burn fuel faster than the fuel pumps can fill the bowls. When it runs out of fuel, it will go to idle, till the pumps can refill the bowls. You can test that theory. Take a buddy with you next time out. When running max throttle, have him constantly prime the fuel hose bulb. If it runs fine at WOT as long as he constantly primes the fuel hose bulb, you've got a fuel supply problem. Could be incorrect fuel pumps, too small hose diameter, bad valves in the hose bulb, restriction in the anti-siphon valve, etc. The factory does not make rebuild kits for those pumps. 90 lbs is pretty normal compression for that engine.

the fuel pumps are from a 79 175 . I took them apart everything looks good.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
If you have replaced any fuel hoses under the cowling, be sure you have the correct factory ones. If you use common bulk hose, it can bend when going around tight radiuses, and can restrict fuel flow. Again, look for a fuel restriction.

Last edited:

1983 ercoa 21'

Chief Petty Officer
If you have replaced any fuel hoses under the cowling, be sure you have the correct factory ones. If you use common bulk hose, it can bend when going around tight radiuses, and can restrict fuel flow. Again, look for a fuel restriction.

I used marine grade bulk and was very cautious as to the radius of the bends. And yes if I was running the vro pump there would be tight radius but I'm running the duel pumps from the 79 175 which allowed for long turns so not to kink the line. Have you ever had a fuel pump that the diagrams looked good even dry on the pulse port side. And still not be good enough?

Bosunsmate

Admiral
as constantly mentioned above you need to have someone prime that bulb, just looking at the pump means nothing unless you have xray specs that can pick up minute holes