1966 3 hp Evinrude 3602E

BassAckwards80

Seaman Apprentice
I just picked up this little beauty today. Anyway, I spent 30 minutes trying to get this started today and it eventually it ran. It was serviced (Supposedly) 8 years ago before it went into storage. So it should have been good however the spark plugs were a little fouled, and it was only getting spark on the bottom cylinder.

Why could it only be getting spark on 1 cylinder (Bottom plug)?

Thx

IndyFish

Seaman
My two cents... Pull the flywheel, throw in new condensers, clean and set points (.030 at open), and ohm out the coils and make sure they are 8-12 ohms each. Napa auto parts usually stocks sierra marine stuff if you don't have a boat shop close by... you just have to know what parts numbers your looking for first, and call them with those part numbers. Usually half a case of beer and a carb clean along with ignition tune up will get em goin.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
My two cents... Pull the flywheel, throw in new condensers, clean and set points (.030 at open), and ohm out the coils and make sure they are 8-12 ohms each. Napa auto parts usually stocks sierra marine stuff if you don't have a boat shop close by... you just have to know what parts numbers your looking for first, and call them with those part numbers. Usually half a case of beer and a carb clean along with ignition tune up will get em goin.

With all due respect, those are some incorrect numbers. Points are set at .020", not .030". Coils are about an ohm on the primary and a few k-ohms on the secondary. And if they are cracked, they are junk no matter what they ohm at. Finally, this free forum is sponsored by iboats, which sells those parts. Get 'm here. As for the beer, well everybody to his own conscience.

IndyFish

Seaman
My OMC master service manual says .030 gap for that engine, actually there are only a few that list something different (and none show .020) and the testing of coils for any of the OMC motors I've worked on, never had a 3hp, the shop manual says 8-12 is acceptable range. (it is a 1922-1964 model master service manual though)
Here is a link to one online, copy and paste in browser.

http://boatinfo.no/lib/johnson/manuals/1922-1964johnson.html#/156

just a little justification behind my nonsence.

as to "buy your parts here" comment,......... I did, once. I will not discuss the transaction but have decided to support my LOCAL market instead.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
No , the gap on the points is set at 0.020" or better yet with a meter and the timing marks.

hardwater fisherman

Lieutenant Commander
All of my omc motors with points are clearly marked on the flywheels, or magplates. Set points 0.020.

Last edited:

F_R

Supreme Mariner
OK, I did say "with all due respect". I'll let it go at that.

tomhath

Master Chief Petty Officer
My OMC master service manual says .030 gap for that engine, actually there are only a few that list something different (and none show .020)

Page 14 of your link says "Set breaker points as instructed to .020" gap full open...this is IMPORTANT to obtain desired results", seems pretty clear to me. Spark plugs are usually .030.

But back to the original question, spark on only one cylinder is common; each cylinder has it's own coil, points, and condensor. Could also be a bad spark plug wire; those parts don't cost much so once you have the flywheel off you may as well replace all of them.

Last edited:

BassAckwards80

Seaman Apprentice
The points and condensers are ok as well as the plugs. A friend of mine looked at it and thinks the coil is bad. So I've got a coil and new point and condensers on the way. Might as well do what I can since the flywheel is gonna no to be off.

I hadn't read all these replies before I spoke with him. And I happened to ask him what to set them at and he said .020.

I appreciate all the replies

Last edited:

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Have repaired many of these " universal magnetos " since 1968--------------It was used on many motors 2 hp / 3 hp / 4 hp / 5/5 hp / 7.5 hp / 10 hp / 18 hp / 33 hp / 40 hp from 1950 to the late 1980's.-----Never ever recall setting one at 0.030" an any model.---Usually used a timing fixture and meter to set them accurately.