Trim for cowling

ferdly1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Not really sure where to post this. I have a 1979 Johnson 15hp motor. The trim for the cowling is rotten. It is no longer available. Is there an alternative source for this trim material.

AlTn

Commander
nymarine.ca...look under parts for sale....you can also scout around for a substitute.i.e...some have used fuel line to form a gasket

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Well ferdly1, all is not lost. I had a similar issue with a '76 Johnson 40HP cowling. Seems the part was no longer available. So I started searching and searching and even searching some more and finally a place in Canada came up. That place did provide the gasket seal for my cowling, but at a pretty huge cost. And then somebody, maybe it was on these forums, suggested looking for other engines with the same seal profile. And I did that and found that the same gasket/seal for my cowling was still being used on newer models of Johnson engines and still available for them (with different part numbers though). The only difference was the overall length. So I bought one for a large cowling and it came in and was about 4" inches too long. So a simple cut and install and perfect. So look for the same profile for other cowlings and buy one for such an engine and cut it to length. Even if you find one exactly for your cowling, it will still have to be fitted. So no big deal cutting the length down if need be. JMHO!

kat-a-tonik

Petty Officer 2nd Class
ferdly1, have you checked your local NAPA store, the one in our town gets me about any part I need for my three antique Johnson motors

ferdly1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I forgot about this post. I have been busy trying to keep my cars running. I am sure I can find something with this info. Thanks again guys!