1995 johnson ocean runner 150hp engine surging

luv2fish13

Seaman Apprentice
had boat out for the first time this season, was drifting and running about for four hours with no issues, then on the way back in the engine was surging like it wasn't getting enough fuel, tried speeding up and slowing down, it would happen at any rpm. I changed the fuel filter, and fuel/water separator this spring, along with new plugs where should I look first? side note my manual said to gap the plugs at .030, the ones I took out were at .040 my boat repair shop put them in last year, do they know something I don't? one more thing, the tank was full when I started, I used 13 gallons that day, could I have been getting into some bad gas in my tank?

1983 ercoa 21'

Chief Petty Officer
Did you try pumping the primer bulb as it was surging? This would tell you if it was a fuel pump issue.

SparkieBoat

Captain
fuel pump..or fuel line sucking air somewhere. you can rebuild the fuel side of your VRO. google it.

luv2fish13

Seaman Apprentice
i think the tank is venting properly, when I fill it up a little will spit out the vent port, will look into this though, tx

SparkieBoat

Captain
you can test your fuel pump, disconnect your fuel line coming out of the fuel pump to the carbs. pump your bulb till some fuel spills out. then pull the kill switch and turn your motor over, fuel should shoot out of the end of the hose in fairly strong spurts, if it is just kinda trickling out you have a weak fuel pump. it takes a few times to know exactly what you are looking for but this is how I do it. sometimes I remove the spark plugs to get higher RPMs during turn over.

Last edited:

luv2fish13

Seaman Apprentice
thanks I will try this, the vro pump was replaced two years ago, due to oil warning ,is this the same as the fuel pump? boat is in Delaware i'll have to wait til next week to try this

SparkieBoat

Captain
yes vro is fuel and oil pump. the fuel hose connections are bad about sucking air when they start getting old. maybe buy a new fuel line and fittings. especially the fitting that attaches to the motor, I bypass those on all my motors and just take the fuel line all the way to the VRO

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
You might also check to see if you have a vapor pump, mounted on top of the vapor separator. If the vapor separator cover leaks or the pump doesn't work, you will have fuel delivery issues.