6 hp johnson stalling

reload

Petty Officer 1st Class
Any body ever hear of putting an ounce of acetone to 5 gallons of fuel to clean carb and reeds as it runs? My 6 hp johnson runs fine and runs OK at slower speeds. When you try to get down to and idle or a little above it trys to stall. Makes it hard to crab. Anyway when pulling boat out of the water yesterday, a guy on the dock tells me that if I add an ounce of acetone to five gallons, it will clear it up before the first tank is gone. Anyone ever hear of this?

Paul

boobie

Supreme Mariner
The guy on the dock is either friggin nuts or drunk. Check your compression and if that's okay do your carb.

tondss

Seaman
My 6hp Johnson does the same thing! I planned to clean the carb and see what happens I'll keep you posted!

tondss

Seaman
Update: I went ahead and cleaned the carb. It took me about 45min. It was a B trying to get the carbs nuts back on when ready for install. I used wd40 and compressed air. It runs 1000 times better. I didn't even buy a carb kit. I'm actually scared it's running to good. I reved it and couldn't believe how high it spun. I hope I didn't do anything wrong lol. I tightend the bottom high speed bolt down supppper tight. I couldn't be happier no more dieing at idle when trying to turn the throttle up. Good luck!

P.S go to YouTube there is a guy that shows an easy way to remove the carb. It's like a 10 video segment.