Evinrude selectric control

Eoughphily

Seaman
Hello, I have a 1963 Evinrude 40 HP lark V I am looking for controls for. I found one that seems like it might work, but I have not been able to identify if it will or not. From what I can tell after researching part manuals, this controller started being used in 1970 on the larger HP motors (above 40 HP) while the other style was still offered on the 40 hp of that year. The physical difference I can see between the two is one has a temperature light and ignition switch built in while the more common lesser model does not. Can anybody tell me if this nicer model will work on my motor?

Attachments

• photo219730.jpg
    photo219730.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 1
  • photo219731.jpg
    photo219731.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 1
  • photo219733.jpg
    photo219733.jpg
    171.2 KB · Views: 1

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The 68 model 55 was the first to use ---HYDRO-ELECTRIC shift.-------later years to 1972 large motors used that as well.------------When gears are engaged on a 40 hp model you need 12 volts applied to the forward magnet and 12 volts to get reverse.---No voltage and you have neutral.-----On the HYDRO-ELECTRIC shift there is no voltage applied to get forward.---There is 12 volts applied to the neutral solenoid to get neutral.------There is 12 volts applied to 2 solenoids at the same time to get reverse----------Lot of words to say that they look the same but they are not.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Outside of the wiring cables, the chief difference is the push button shift switch. There are two (actually three) very different look-alike switches. You MUST NOT under any circumstances use the Hydro-Electric switch on your 40hp. To do so will cause $$erious damage, first time you push the reverse button.

Best get the correct control for your 40 and year. Then you won't have to fight the incorrect cables either.