Ficht rev up after running wot

Jeanvern

Cadet
I'm a bit stumped and starting to look into my latest issue. Engine was running fine and then suddenly after running WOT for more than 5 min and then stop to fish, it would rev up to about 2000 rpm when put out of gear and come back down normal after 10sec to 30sec. I thought perhaps it wasen't fully burning its fuel and the EGR would recirculate it, if equipped. At first it would only do it the first time then it wouldn't do it again for the rest of the day. When it would happen I would leave it in gear so I wouldn't damage the leg by removing it out of gear at 1000-1100 rpm and it would take 1-2 min to come down to about 700 rpm then I would put it in neutral.

Then it slightly got worst and worst, I came back in big waves so the engine was pushed and up and down in gas. When I pulled in the marina and put it out of gear at about 1000rpm, it rev'ed up to about 2000rpm and didn't come down in 1min so I used the kicker.

I thought it might be a spark plug but then why would it rev up? Then I thought it might be throttle cable being sticky so the tps would sense the butterflys open but I just found out that if I turn the engine off when it revs up and then start it again, it's fine so it resets itself????

It seems to be slowly degrading. I checked my spark plugs and they are a bit carbonized and they were changed 20 outings ago.

Anyone dealt with this before?

Jeanvern

Cadet
After doing some thoughts and research, I'll check for cracks in my fuel lines downstream of the pump. Perhaps I'm entraining air when pulling down from wot and the engine sees it as lean therefore provides fuel. It could explain why it revs up just for a moment until the air is cleared.

Ibl0wstuffup

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Sounds like an air leak somewhere. It heats up at wot and something is expanding and allowing air into the motor.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Only thing that will cause a Ficht to rev up is add fuel in cylinders so you have 2 possibilitys : sticking tps depend on year they did have some problems out of these sticking or a leaking injector...

Jeanvern

Cadet
So I think I found the issue. It seemed to be an air leak somewhere since my sparks are recent and they were carbonized and traces of oil so it tells me the engine runs cold because its rich. I pumped the fuel line and saw a small leak where it meets with the line from the VRO. I'll change the line and I guess I'll have to go fishing because you always need to test the repair before calling it fixed.

Since this junction is downstream of the pump, it's under vacum so hope this was the issue

Hopefully that's my $2 problem.

Last edited:

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Uhhhh a Ficht does not have a VRO...it has a oil pump and injector. Are you sure you have a Ficht????