Joe Reeves Timing Method - What am I doing wrong?

amxfc3s

Cadet
I am trying to set the timing on my 70HP Evinrude E70TLESB via the Joe Reeves method. I am not getting any spark. I could not find the neutral safely switch so I ran 12V directly to the starter solenoid to turn the engine over. I have my spark tester and timing light hooked to the #1 plug, #2 and #3 plugs grounded, throttle lever at WOT. Why am I not getting spark? Thanks.

20150426_174750_zpseo7zcsb1.jpg

20150426_174807_zpssxonh4xk.jpg

20150426_174822_zpsuyv46rkq.jpg

Last edited:

Bosunsmate

Admiral
Might be a kill wire short to ground, try disconnecting the black wire with yellow stripe that goes to the powerpack,

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Timing on these motors generally needs no adjustment for the life of the motor.

amxfc3s

Cadet
Might be a kill wire short to ground, try disconnecting the black wire with yellow stripe that goes to the powerpack,
pardon my ignorance, but what/where is the powerpack?

Timing on these motors generally needs no adjustment for the life of the motor.
i know for a fact that the timing has been messed with by the previous owner, which is why i am re-setting it.

Bosunsmate

Admiral
powerpack is in your bottom photo, near the bottom of the motor with two bolts holding it on. (its longer than the three coils you have.)
Its involved in storing the voltage from the stator and in signalling the firing timing.
Some of the wires from it will go to the stator and coils, the black wire with yellow stripe will be in there somewhere, you will need to push the pin out from the connector boot so it doesnt join up to the powerpack anymore

Bosunsmate

Admiral
You will need to take off your airguard so you can check that your carb butterflys are all closed and opening to max together

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The key is turned to " on "--------You need to move the tell tale hose fitting to the top of the block once the timing is sorted out.

amxfc3s

Cadet
The key is turned to " on "--------You need to move the tell tale hose fitting to the top of the block once the timing is sorted out.

thats probably the problem, i was cranking it by touching the temporary jumper wire from the starter solenoid to the battery but the key wasnt turned. i will give that a shot. is there a nipple on the top of the block for the tell tale hose? thanks

racerone

Supreme Mariner
There was a service bulletin that came out in 1994 to relocate the tell tale to the top of the block.---Drilling is required.-----Simple to do if you find the service bulletin on line or on this site.