Evinrude issues shifting into reverse / in & out of neutral

bradleymc

Cadet
Motor is a 1983 Evinrude 70hp ELCTE. So I'm having issues shifting into reverse. It will shift smoothly from time to time, but not often. I'll start by saying that last year my throttle cable snapped (that information may be helpful to you). I replaced it with a new identical cable. Went out for the first time, boat was moving forward in neutral at the dock, but not too, too fast. Messed with the trunion a bit, and got it to settle down. It shifted into reverse and then into forward fine on the river, but when i stopped in the creek to catch bait, it would not shift into reverse. Throttle box was rattling like crazy as I tried to shift. Then going back into neutral/forward it would give a nice lunge with a loud pop as it shifted into forward and then would work fine in forward. Still no reverse though. When trying to reverse when it's not rattling it will be revving but not slipping into gear. I'm sure this is simple for someone who knows their stuff, but not me since sometimes it seems to work okay and other times not. Thanks

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Was lower unit off for work ? ---Was shift rod turned ?---------Motor must be running or propshaft turning in order to shift properly.------Have you looked into the control box to inspect " sector gears " on the parts found in there ?

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Possible the shift cable is still in need of minor adjustment. The rattling sound is the teeth of the clutch dog trying to engage the reverse gear face, but can't. It's hard on the dog and gear when that happens. You can probably fix it yourself. Unbolt the shift cable at the engine end. Shift the lever by hand while the engine is running. See if it will shift normally that way. F, N, R. If it does, it's just an adjustment issue. Put the engine in neutral and the shift lever. Then adjust the cable to meet the stud on the lever. The rebolt the shift cable end. Likely it's off a couple of turns on the trunion.

bradleymc

Cadet
Okay to do this in the driveway? I'd like to do it beforehand if possible rather than get on the water and risk not being able to shift. I say this because after toying with the shift trunion with the motor off it was having problems with F too. As I kept adjusting, it seemed like F would work but R wouldn't, and then vice versa. Then I got both to work but with some resistance going into F.
Possible the shift cable is still in need of minor adjustment. The rattling sound is the teeth of the clutch dog trying to engage the reverse gear face, but can't. It's hard on the dog and gear when that happens. You can probably fix it yourself. Unbolt the shift cable at the engine end. Shift the lever by hand while the engine is running. See if it will shift normally that way. F, N, R. If it does, it's just an adjustment issue. Put the engine in neutral and the shift lever. Then adjust the cable to meet the stud on the lever. The rebolt the shift cable end. Likely it's off a couple of turns on the trunion.

bradleymc

Cadet
I was doing that with motor off and using controls at the helm ^^ took trunion off, found neutral spinning prop, adjusting trunion, putting trunion back into place and trying to shift with controls up front.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Someone MUST turn the propshaft while using the control box to shift.------Failure to do so can damage the control box !!!