48 SPL Evinrude runs on 1 cylinder unless Primer is held

greasemonkeyjmj

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a 1987 Evinrude 48SPL, newly rebuilt with 3 gallons of fuel run thru it on the hose. Compression is 145 PSI on both cylinders, new plugs with blue spark jumping 7/16 gap. I notice on the hose that thew bottom cylinder would drop out every so often, but i could throttle it up and the cylinder would come back in, I thought maybe the extra rich break in fuel may have been fouling the plug, so I put in a new plug and took it to the water for the first time. the only way I could get any rpm's out of it was to hold in the key switch for the primer to stay engaged, if I let out it would drop back down to one cylinder. What do you think, Carb troubles or maybe fuel pump not putting out enough fuel?

thanks

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Holding the primer in on the control indicates a carburetor problem.---The primer valve opens and squirts fuel into the engine.---This fuel bypasses the carburetors !----So do both carburetors to make sure they are clean with no restrictions !!

greasemonkeyjmj

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks as usual Racerone. I gave the carbs a little soaking and cleaning. And I also had some water in my fuel so between taking care of both of those things it did good on the trip out a bit ago.