1982 Evinrude 90hp water jet issue

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
The two parts you broke are a common problem. Many dealers will stock them, but if not, the factory will have plenty in stock. I'd be inclined to get a machine tap that's just slight larger than the hole in the nylon (nipple) pc which is still inside the exhaust cover. (not one that's the size of the machine threads-smaller) If you turn the machine tap counterclockwise, the threads may grab the nylon pc and turn it out. Same as using the square end of a rat-tail file-inserted in the hole. The 4 rough edges of the file may be enough to grab the nipple end. You may be able to unscrew/extract it. You also may be able to force a small knife blade inside the hole. Cut the nylon pc with a sawing action. If you can cut it, it will loosen inside the hole. If you still can't get it out, last resort would be to remove the outer exhaust cover and drill it out and re-tap the original threads. I would not be so concerned if a small pc of plastic chip wound up inside the block. That's a water passage and any small nylon pcs will probably just pass thru the cooling system.

Cmiller1229

Recruit
It can just be cut out then? My dad was thinking about an ez-out to remove it. I did find that small piece online anywhere from 1.90 to 3.00 plus shipping.

Should I have a steady stream even at low idle? I was only getting one at higher RPMs

Cmiller1229

Recruit
Btw, that wasn't me in that video. It's just another guy with the same outboard as mine with same issue. Only part on mine that broke is at the block.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
It's just nylon so you should be able to extract it-including with any typical extractor. An easy out will work if you can get it to bite on the inside of the hole. May or may not work as well since it's not steel. When that engine starts, the water pump starts pumping immediately. The first place the incoming water goes, is to the telltale. It should show a steady stream of water almost immediately. If you only get one at higher idle rpm's-the impeller may be in need of replacement. I'd repair the telltale and cowling nozzle first-then recheck the water flow. The lower cowling nozzle is actually a restrictor. Whatever the pressure is inside the block, the restrictor causes the telltale to spray more strongly. Replace the nozzle, then retest the telltale spray. Then decide if the telltale is spraying normally. That will determine if you then need to repl the impeller. You should get at least 3 lbs pressure at idle. 4-6 is normal on a new impeller.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
?????--------Glue a small bolt or screw in there and turn it out after it sets up.