83 70hp johnson no spark

wbeav

Recruit
I have a 1983 70 hp Johnson that lost spark to all 3 cylinders while i was at full throttle.Checked for spark and there was none at all.Does a power pack supply power to the individule cylinder coils?Im sure my problem is electrical.Any help would be great.Thanx.

ob

Admiral
Re: 83 70hp johnson no spark

First confirm that your problem is not in the ignition switch or safety lanyard button.I wound then perform a voltage test of the stator as per manual instructions and make sure its putting out.May be a powerpack failure , but you'll want to confirm before just buying another one.Those things are pricey.

boatin

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Powerpack may be pricey but not near as pricey as the stator. I just had to replace the powerpack, stator, and rectifier on my 70 Evenrude.<br />Ob has good advice. Might want to check your rectifier also. Mine was shorted to ground and may have caused the other problems??<br /> If you have never worked on an outboard before, then grab a manual and get started. There is a lot of help on this site.<br /> :)

Bradg

Seaman

This help I got from Joe Reeves on my June 26th post<br /><br />If no spark or a weak spark, disconnect the large RED electrical connector at the engine. Crank the engine by energizing the solenoid with a jumper (Bat term to small 3/18" nut term). If you now have spark, replace the ignition switch.<br /><br />Also Make sure all the connections are tight and clean at the power pack. After I checked all the connections I had spark on 2 cyl.<br /><br />I did have to replace the power pack on my motor<br />1982 70 hp johnson.

wbeav

Recruit

thanx for the help gents I'll try those ideas.