1956 Lark runs backfires stops, any help would be great

ricksuper67

Cadet
1956 Evinrude Lark 30hp

Any help would be appreciated, carburetors hate me.

I just put in new coils, points, plugs, wires and gaskets in carb. I set the low speed at 1.5 turns and the high speed to number 3. I pump up the tank the engine starts runs about 5-10 seconds backfires then shuts off. It will not start again until I pump the tank 1 or 2 times.

Again any help would be great I would really love to get the engine running, my kids want to get on the water it has been in the yard for too long and when I mention the age of the motor no local shops want to help me

Last edited:

ricksuper67

Cadet
That was a really good question. I started working on this last year and just tried to start it today. When I added the other parts the parts guy suggested I replace the head gasket also which I did,

When I took the motor apart the compression was around 90, best I can remember. I just ran outside and checked and it is around 33. What did I do wrong?

Last edited:

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Did you use the same compression gauge ?? Is the head gasket in backwards ??

ricksuper67

Cadet
yes I used the same gauge, It has been about 6-7 months since I replaced the gasket, If it is possible to put it in backwards I guess I might have. the top spark plug is oily and the bottom one is cleaner. I guess I need to take the head off and check.

Went to take the head off. The bolts were almost finger tight. I must have forgotten to torque the bolts down when I install the new gasket. Do you know the torque for the head bolts, if not I will look it up (220-240 ft-lbs

Last edited:

ricksuper67

Cadet
Tomorrow morning I am going to torque down the head. Is there anything else I should do, or just torque it down and try to start it?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
You will have problems if you try to torque to 220 FT-LBS on that.----------------Try 220 ---INCH-LBS

ricksuper67

Cadet
You have no idea how happy I am that I am getting help thank you so much.

I torqued it down and did the compression test again. When I turn it over (by Hand) I am still getting 30 for the first compression cycle then if I continue turning it over it will get to 60 but that is it. I took it apart and took some pic's.

ricksuper67

Cadet
You have no idea how happy I am that I am getting help thank you so much.

I torqued it down and did the compression test again. When I turn it over (by Hand) I am still getting 30 for the first compression cycle then if I continue turning it over it will get to 60 but that is it. I took it apart and took some pic's.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Are you cranking it over by hand with the recoil starter or with the electric starter ??

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Is the engine getting fuel, after she starts. A '56 has the two line pressure fuel tank, right? Is that system working?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
To me it sounds like it is running on one cylinder.--Check for spark on both leads.--Spark MUST jump a gap of 1/4" or more.

ricksuper67

Cadet
To test it quickly, I took an old spark plug and bent the lead back almost 1/4" and it did jump that gap on both cylinders.

On a second note, I noticed that when I pump up the pressure tank, right when the fuel bowl is completely filled, fuel is also coming out of the bottom of the air silencer

ricksuper67

Cadet
I adjusted the fuel float and gas no longer comes out of the carburetor.

I got it to run smooth for about a minute (sounded nice) then it went whoosh and shut off, not sure if it is a backfire but it is something.

Would the reeds have anything to due with it not running?