? about reverse lock out

aspano1

Cadet
I've searched and still I'm confused about reverse lock out on 88 Evinrude 50 HP. that at some point in it's life had Tilt/Trim. When I got it all had been removed, I use on a 18 ft. pontoon. When I shift into reverse it kicks up out of the water. Now short of replacing T/T, is there something else out there that will keep this from happening. Thanks for any input.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Not much choices. Get a power tilt unit or go to salvage yards and convert it back to manual. OR, tie it down some how with a strap but that's no good if you hit something.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Or start watching for a donor engine. I just picked up a 1980 50hp Evinrude for $90.00 and yes it is complete. I'll bet the scrappers want more than $90.00 for the parts you will be needing.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Yes, you need to convert back to the manual tilt pieces.----There is time involved for a salvage yard to remove these pieces.-----Depending on your location there should be lots of those pieces available !

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
There is time involved for a salvage yard to remove these pieces. Depending on your location there should be lots of those pieces available !

Correct! So then you have to ask yourself how much is your time worth? Myself like many I have more time than money.

Look at it this way, there is a mount on each side of the exhaust mid section and 2 bolts below the powerhead. Both whole units can be swapped out in an afternoon.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I am well aware of the concept of shop time / hobby time / do it yourself time.---Also aware of the folks with old motors looking for repairs on the cheap.---Remember that your motor may be old , but the shop time is ---" all brand new time "-----Nuff said.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
I am well aware of the concept of shop time / hobby time / do it yourself time.---Also aware of the folks with old motors looking for repairs on the cheap.---Remember that your motor may be old , but the shop time is ---" all brand new time "-----Nuff said.

So what is the point you are trying to argue? I'm not questioning the "Shop Rates" that are charged. As with any other service there is the "going" rate. I take my truck to a shop all the time and pay their labor rates and don't have a problem with that. They have the tools and expertise to do the job that I can't do or can accomplish it much quicker than I can.