8 hp evinrude fuel problem

Davemld

Cadet
Been having a problem with my outboard it will not get up to full speed with out the primer pulled out. I posted earlier and got advise to clean my carb. I took it apart and made sure it was clean all the orifices where cleaned and clear when I put it back together. I also took apart the fuel pump and looked at it the diaphragm looked intact, but I am not sure how to tell if its worn out. I took it out and ran it this afternoon same problem, maybe even a little worse. Runs like it is supposed to with the primer pulled out. That makes me wonder about the fuel pump. Could it be that its not getting enough fuel unless its aided by the primer being pulled out? The reason I say that is enough fuel goes through the high speed orifice with the primer being pulled out. It now stalls with the primer pushed in when you try to throttle up. Is there anything else that could cause this?

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
If it runs Ok with the primer pulled out then it must be getting enough fuel therefore not likely to be a problem with the pump or fuel supply. more likely I'd think to be a partially blocked carb orifice.

Check the pump by pulling off the outlet hose . You should get jets of fuel when cranking.

Also any problems with the fuel supply or the pump would be overcome by repeatedly squeezing the fuel line ball. If this keeps it going normally then yes there is a problem with the pump or fuel line .

Have you checked for air leaks at any of the joints between carb,, manifold, reeds and crankcase

Davemld

Cadet
My model # E8RCUD Its a 1987. I soaked the carb in Berryman carb cleaner for over an hour today. Then cleaned it with carb cleaner, the high speed orifice was definitely clean and clear. Took it out today same problem. I don't have to pump the bulb to keep it going. What is the best way to check for the air leaks? I read somewhere that WD-40 to see if it reacts with the fuel. I also replaced the shaft seal housing last year I must of had moisture in the lower unit and it broke over the winter, and since then I have had this problem.